DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default Opera 9 released

Opera 9 has now been officially released, get the Windoze version here.

The install allows you to keep earlier Opera versions, and interestingly now includes a BitTorrent facility, so no need to use a separate torrent downloader. A quick look suggests that CSS2 support is improved, but have not had time to test properly. In any case I will only use it for site testing (and torrents...) because I still see no advantages over FireFox for general browsing and development.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

One thing I like about Opera is the "Find in page" feature is available without having to open it first. And in Opera 9, it automatically highlights all matches in the page.

I wonder, though, if Opera can run these Ajax applications: http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>I wonder, though, if Opera can run these Ajax applications: http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/

Not as long as their browser sniffer spits at it and slams the door in its face.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Are you saying you tried it and that's what happened?
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Are you saying you tried it and that's what happened?

Yep. With Opera 8.something

The page it links from *does* suggest rather strongly that it's for Firefox and IIRC Mozilla. Still, I'd rather it told me that and let me try it just the same.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
>>I wonder, though, if Opera can run these Ajax applications: http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/

Not as long as their browser sniffer spits at it and slams the door in its face.
It's not so surprising that for AJAX a browser sniffer is used to detect Opera, instead of checking support for objects: until now, if you did that, Opera would lie about it so you'd think AJAX is supported when actually it is not.

If Opera 9 is just out and does really syupport AJAX it'll be a while before people will have adapted their software...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
If Opera 9 is just out and does really syupport AJAX it'll be a while before people will have adapted their software...
The pre-release version has been publicly available for a couple of months just so that developers can test it out. I wonder how many did?

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
The pre-release version has been publicly available for a couple of months just so that developers can test it out. I wonder how many did?
As always, it's not all that easy to find real specs on the Opera site, but I found them after some digging.

One of my complaints since version 7 has been that they put in "support" for the link (navigation) tag - but implemented it incorrectly (no support for those link elements that can occur multiple times, for instance). Interestingly, their HTML, XHTML, and WML support in Opera 9 document (presumably the most detailed for the markup languages) does not even mention the link element.

The ECMAScript/JavaScript support specs (note the URL says "opera 9" but the heading says "Opera 8"!) does not even suggest AJAX support. Searching for "AJAX" on the site, you find a lot about Opera platform, Opera for mobiles and "widgets" (the latter presumably using AJAX) - but none for the "regular" browser.

If I were developing AJAX (for the web) I wouldn't be all that stimulated to download an Opera 9 preview to test it, would you?

Old 06-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
It's not so surprising that for AJAX a browser sniffer is used to detect Opera, instead of checking support for objects: until now, if you did that, Opera would lie about it so you'd think AJAX is supported when actually it is not.
Well I just tried a "real life" AJAX test - Google maps. No problems at all. More importantly (to me) ajaxTunes runs just fine, too.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Well I just tried a "real life" AJAX test - Google maps. No problems at all. More importantly (to me) ajaxTunes runs just fine, too.
Well, maybe they should actually document the capability then...