DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 06-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Aldus InDesign?

This is more of a trivia item, which is why I'm posting it in the pub area. But I am curious about this. I read some place that development of InDesign actually began in the Aldus house. That Aldus had begun development of a PageMaker replacement (called K2). And when Adobe bought out Aldus, the core K2 programmers became part of Adobe and finished development. And now it is InDesign.

Does anyone know more about this?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
This is more of a trivia item, which is why I'm posting it in the pub area. But I am curious about this. I read some place that development of InDesign actually began in the Aldus house. That Aldus had begun development of a PageMaker replacement (called K2). And when Adobe bought out Aldus, the core K2 programmers became part of Adobe and finished development. And now it is InDesign.

Does anyone know more about this?
Yep. I was on the user advisory panel and tested K2 and subsequent versions of the software up to the beta of version 1 of what came to be called InDesign (a name I voted against).

Aldus began the project as a replacement for the aging PageMaker, and we thought of it at first as Super PageMaker. At the K2 stage, it was still an Aldus project; then Adobe and Aldus ‘merged’ and Adobe retained the programmers and the program.

That was the genesis of Adobe’s Seattle office. Aldus had been down near Pioneer Square, and Adobe kept the K2 etc. project there. So far as I know that is still where ID is worked on. (Adobe later built a snazzy place elsewhere in the city and left Pioneer Square, alas.) John C. worked for Aldus and now works for Adobe in Seattle. So did/does Ole Kvern and several others whose names you may know.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Adobe and Aldus ‘merged’ and Adobe retained the programmers and the program.
I so love the word "merge" to describe how one company takes complete control of another... as happened when Macromedia "merged" with Allaire Corp. Surprising really that Adobe's takeover of Macromedia was apparently not called a "merger" (but maybe I missed something).

Lots of good software goes to software heaven as a result of mergers... leaving their users in hell.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
I so love the word "merge" to describe how one company takes complete control of another... as happened when Macromedia "merged" with Allaire Corp. Surprising really that Adobe's takeover of Macromedia was apparently not called a "merger" (but maybe I missed something).

Lots of good software goes to software heaven as a result of mergers... leaving their users in hell.
Indeed. Adobe has a closet full of lamented font (and other) programs.

Microsoft left me dangling way back when — I had always had a database program in pre-Mac days, and MS brought out the very first one, called something like MS-File, so I pounced. It was mediocre and buggy and never made it past version 1.0 (though they made noises about upgrades to come). Then FileMaker came out (after a while), and I was better off, but that abandonment by MS still lingers in my little brain!

Both companies announced this as the acquisition of Macromedia by Adobe. I was surprised, as you were — it seems so unusual to call it straight like that. I think even the Adobe/Frame deal was called a merger, when it so plainly was not (more like a real estate deal, or so it seemed to me at the time — Adobe coveted the Frame building in San Jose)!

::

Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Well, this does rather explain how Indesign, despite having been supposedly rewritten from the ground up, still retains some of PageWrecker's idiot negative features. Examples of INFs include Optimised Subsampling, and the refusal of items like the Swatches window to move to your second monitor.

Quark 7 has also, supposedly, been rewritten from the ground up (ha ha)

Last edited by Robin Springall; 06-12-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Smiley added to lighten the feel!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Examples of INFs include Optimised Subsampling
As you probably know, "Optimised Subsampling" is just a fancy name for something that Quark also did -- but with no option to turn it off.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Both companies announced this as the acquisition of Macromedia by Adobe.
/ramble
I was part of the "merger" of Scitex and Creo into CreoScitex. Even at the announcement of the deal, Mark Dance, the then-boss, described CreoScitex as an ugly name, and, of course, it eventually went away.

I, too, did some late beta testing of K2, and still have it on CD. The splash screen shows K2 (the mountain in Nepal.)

And I voted against the name of "Brisque." Despite its name it turned out to be a very successful product. So much for names.
/end ramble

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
NoPixies

Anybody happen to know if Adobe is going to make CS3 available to PowerPC users? I read that Adobe was not going to make CS3 available until summer 2007, but nobody at Adobe is commenting on if it will work on PowerPC chips. Feels like 1994...
NoPixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPixies
Anybody happen to know if Adobe is going to make CS3 available to PowerPC users?
It would be suicide not to. How many Intel-only Mac apps are there?

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
imatt

Aww now come on.....Y'all should just get Windows XP / Vista....ahem!!!!!!! ;-)
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote