DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Identifont website

Just noticed a question about how to identify fonts and someone suggested using http://www.identifont.com/

Has anyone knowledgable used this?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Norbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith
I showed my graphic design students the Identifont site a couple of years ago as a way of developing a sense of what are the distinguishing factors of type designs. But in terms of any practicality of actually being able to identify specific typefaces, I find it less helpful as the results tend to be quite useless to me.

What are you trying to do? Identify a face?
If so, the absolutely fastest way is to post an image of the face on Typophile's Type ID Forum ...
accurate IDs at the speed of light
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert
What are you trying to do? Identify a face?
If so, the absolutely fastest way is to post an image of the face on Typophile's Type ID Forum ... accurate IDs at the speed of light
So often thanks to you. We are very glad to have you stop by!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default You often do it, KT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
So often thanks to you. We are very glad to have you stop by!
Actually, you often do it for me, KT, but I suppose I should learn about these other resources, too.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Just noticed a question about how to identify fonts and someone suggested using http://www.identifont.com/

I use it whenever I think it will work: when the specimen includes a fair ration of capital letters (as that is what it mostly asks you to describe), and is either a text face (sans or serif) or a fairly well-known decorative face.

Sometimes I have better luck with WhatTheFont? (part of MyFonts.com)— if you have a good sample GIF, JPEG, or TIFF with type characters about 100 pixels tall (image maximum is 360 X 275 pixels), and if the font is known to the database, you can often get a fast and accurate ID.

FontExpert-Online is another site that attempts to identify fonts from a scanned sample. It is a bit fussier — asks you to separate the characters in the scan and prefers B&W to color specimens and character heights of 200 pixels or more. But it offers another opportunity for a font that is hard to pin down.

Not automated but very useful is Bowfin Printworks’ font identification guides (Script, “Bauhaus-style,” Serif, and Sans). It is also a great place to astound yourself with the sheer volume of typefaces available today!

Another interesting resource is FontInfo, which is based on the Rookledge system of classifying fonts by their features (something like the PANOSE system). You select the group by comparing the cap G to the one in the image, and get a list of likely suspects. (The link is to the sans page, but there are also a page for serif faces and a page with the Bitstream Font Analog, which lists many of the alternate names (i.e., clones) of some fonts. This list is a bit dated (it used to be given to Mac customers in the 1990s so doesn’t have most newer faces on its list), but very useful if you have an odd name.

FontMatch from Stretched Out Software is a program that runs on Mac OS X or Windows. Unlike the web services, this program tells you whether the font you are looking for is already available on your computer. It too works by a bitmap image. Costs $40, and probably worth it if you often find yourself asked to produce text set in a font you are pretty sure you have but cannot find (possibly because it has a different name).

And of course you can always ask here in the forum — some members spot fonts in the wink of an eye (and are familiar with some of the newer faces that do not turn up in the automated programs).

Old 05-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks -- If I can find the original enquiry I'll pass all of this on.

Hugh
Old 05-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Thanks -- If I can find the original enquiry I'll pass all of this on.
Be sure to add a link to us here! We are not too shabby at identifying fonts ourselves. <g>

Old 05-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Be sure to add a link to us here! We are not too shabby at identifying fonts ourselves. <g>
Done with strong recommendation to come here and read the comments.

He's posted today that Identifont did not work for him.

Hugh
Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

KT:

I use it whenever I think it will work

Identifont is very useful for locating the sources of a known font (vendors, maker, designer), snd, not having the extensive knowledge of fonts that many in this forum have, I consult it often.