DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Really good retro clipart

Most of the retro commercial art I see is semi-lousy. I lived through some of those periods, and usually the stuff is not quite right. Or it is not well done.

The work at the TimeTunnel site seems better than average, maybe way better, even. I especially like Hypnoclips a bunch of vintage small ads and ad cuts from the 1920s – 1950s. These come as TIFF files; some of the other collections seem to have other formats.

There is also a collection of tiki art that might interest some. And the collection of borders and backgrounds, all done in vectors so the fills and lines can be customized.

Worth a look, I think.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I really like the Hypnoclips...I'm not a fan of most of the clipart I see but these are really cool...the Tiki and borders don't do much for me...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Thanks for reminding me about Time Tunnel. I registered there years ago, so I could download the free monthly images, but have forgotten to check back since 2003. <g> (Really -- that's the last time I visited the site.)

Since then, they've added all kinds of neat stuff, including those Hypnoclips. I actually have two volumes of Hypnoclips, a bundle that I must have gotten from Eyewire, because it says "Image Club Graphics, a division of Adobe Systems" on the back of the cases.

Looks like Time Tunnel has a third volume of Hypnoclips, which I will need to buy as soon as I'm sure it's different from the volumes I've got. Unfortunately my volumes didn't come with any printed catalogs, so this could take some time.

And I've already got some of those Classic PIO Partners CDs -- including the Classic Fabrics, which is fabulous. I spy another volume of Fantastic Fabrics which I am also adding to my wish list.

I always say a girl can't ever have too much retro clip art!

Here's another source of interesting stuff:

http://www.nicksfonts.com/

He's got some cool retro graphics and fonts, and a very inexpensive bundle. He's also got some fonts that have a more contemporary feel. I actually found an excuse to buy one -- Snoopy Snails -- last week. A client asked me to use a "crazy font" in an ad, and I instantly thought of Snoopy Snails.

Nick also has a lot of free fonts (he's got links to the sources on his home page), some of which have clever names, such as Guinness Extra Stout and Tara Bulbous.

His freebies include two volumes of "Kartoon Kutz" retro clips (in font format).

Yet another source of retro clips, which are in font formats:

http://www.girlswhowearglasses.com/

Looks like they're only sold in a big bundle now. I bought a bundle, but it was smaller than the current bundle being offered. Since the site owner moved to the UK, the site is trimmed down. Still offers some frivolous free fonts, though.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Here's another source of interesting stuff:

http://www.nicksfonts.com/

He's got some cool retro graphics and fonts, and a very inexpensive bundle. He's also got some fonts that have a more contemporary feel. I actually found an excuse to buy one -- Snoopy Snails -- last week. A client asked me to use a "crazy font" in an ad, and I instantly thought of Snoopy Snails.

Nick also has a lot of free fonts (he's got links to the sources on his home page), some of which have clever names, such as Guinness Extra Stout and Tara Bulbous.

His freebies include two volumes of "Kartoon Kutz" retro clips (in font format).
Interesting site and fun fonts (though I hate the frame & image-based navigation with no alt attributes!!!) - but I cannot find any free ones (not even the names you refer to by looking in the alphabetic listing).

Last edited by iamback; 05-20-2006 at 10:14 AM.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Where are the freebies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Interesting site and fun fonts (though I hate the frame & image-based navigation with alt attributes!!!) - but I cannot find any free ones (not even the names you refer to by looking in the alphabetic listing).
Yes, where are the freebies?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I cannot find any free ones
In small print at the bottom of the gray window on the home page, it says "Looking for free fonts?" and has links to:

http://www.1001fonts.com/member_prof...?author_id=523

which has 115 free fonts by Nick Curts, and

http://www.fontfreak.com/authors/nick_curtis.htm

Doesn't specify the number. Might be the same as the other site.

mxh
Old 05-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Thanks

Thanks, Marlene, for tracking that down for us.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

No problem. I discovered Nick's Fonts by accident, BTW. I was searching for a font at myfonts.com, and stumbled upon Snoopy Snails. Followed the trail to his web site.

mxh
Old 05-20-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
iamback

Ahh! Thanks.

Looks like the same fonts though - 1001 fonts has them listed by rating, the oterh list alphabetically but I looked up three and found them in the list; if not the same, then likely a large overlap. But 1001 has previews... the "extra stout" is nice!

Just found Ritzy Remix - very nice. Maybe I'm just going to grab them all.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
iamback

Now wasn't someone recently looking for an arabic-script looking font?

I just found the 1001 fonts site has a 'Foreign Imitation' category - and there's a pretty nice one on there called Catharsis Bedouin 1.0 - postcardware. Now I have seen better "arabic" fonts but this is (almost) free and quite usable.

The "Made in China" looks quite usable as well, and "Runes" is interesting because it consists of actual runes!