DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Astonishing Source Code View

http://www.newproperty4sale.com/index.htm

has an astonishing source code view. Normally we expect a DOCTYPE, <html> tag, <head> and <body> tags, and closing tags for those three tags. The source code here starts out with styles and scripts, and then some HTML, but the usual DOCTYPE, <html> tag, <head> and <body> tags are nowhere to be seen.

I am guessing that what we see in the source code view is the result of some PHP or other scripting, but beyond that guess, I am astonished that the browsers render this material as we might expect conventional HTML pages.

I post this merely out of curiosity, I have nothing to do with this real estate site or the information presented there.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
donmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I am guessing that what we see in the source code view is the result of some PHP or other scripting, but beyond that guess, I am astonished that the browsers render this material as we might expect conventional HTML pages.
I doubt it. PHP pages should also have the various codes you mention. I think this is a case of someone thinking that because it works, it must be okay. However, that is no sign that it will work tomorrow. This is invalid HTML, and I suspect some browsers will ignore it. If not, some day one will. I kinda hope it belongs to someone planning to buy a house.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
http://www.newproperty4sale.com/index.htm

has an astonishing source code view. Normally we expect a DOCTYPE, <html> tag, <head> and <body> tags, and closing tags for those three tags. The source code here starts out with styles and scripts, and then some HTML, but the usual DOCTYPE, <html> tag, <head> and <body> tags are nowhere to be seen.
Even in HTML 4, the <html>, <head> and <body> elements are optional. The head and body sections are still there, but by implication: they always exist, even if not declared. You can use a starting tag but leave out the closing tag, or like here even leave all of those tags out.

The document starts with a style element, followed by a script element. Since those elements can occur only in the head section, that part of the document is the head section - never mind the tags aren't there to declare it. These two elements are then followed by a number of div elements, which can occur only in the body section: so that part of the document is the body section. All in order so far.

There's really only one thing wrong with it that jumps to the eye, and that's the missing but always required DOCTYPE declaration. I didn't validate it, but if you try, tell the validator to treat it as HTML 4.01 - that's what it's closest to (though I note a <br /> which woudl be XHTML). So it won't be fully valid even with an appropriate DOCTYPE declaration but glancing over it nothing jumps out at me, it's probably not far off.

Seeing there's MM_ stuff in the script, my guess is it was made with an older version of DreamWeaver (4 or so) which was pretty ignorant about DOCTYPE declarations...

My advice: stick to XHTML: no worries about what is or is not optional: nothing is. Much simpler, all in all.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
donmcc

I wondered if the MM stuff was cut and pasted in. I used DW as far back as 2.0, and it never created pages without proper html, head, title, and body tags.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
I wondered if the MM stuff was cut and pasted in. I used DW as far back as 2.0, and it never created pages without proper html, head, title, and body tags.
Could be - I never used it, but I do know it was past 2000 before it learned to put in a DOCTYPE declaration (at the suggestion for Allaire, mainly).

Still, not using them is correct through HTML 4.01 (though it's rarely seen) - the one thing basically incorrect is teh mising declaration that would tell you whether it is, in fact, correct - or not if they intended it to be XHTML.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I went to an exhibition in London and saw softweare that could generate these pages - it was produced by a company that used to specialize in changing typefaces to specials - I cant remember its name
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote