DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default cAPS lOCK

cAN i RANT ABOUT THE POSITION OF THE CAPS LOCK ON THE KEYBOARD AND i AM FED UP OF THE AMOUNT OF TIMES i HAVE IT ON AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN FIND IT LOOKS LIKE THIS - DOES ANYONE REALLY HAVE IT ON ALL THE TIMES THESE DAYS
pETER
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
cAN i RANT ABOUT THE POSITION OF THE CAPS LOCK ON THE KEYBOARD AND i AM FED UP OF THE AMOUNT OF TIMES i HAVE IT ON AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN FIND IT LOOKS LIKE THIS - DOES ANYONE REALLY HAVE IT ON ALL THE TIMES THESE DAYS
pETER
mINE MAKES A SOUND - WHICH i DON'T HEAR WHEN LISTENING TO THE (INTERNET) RADIO, WHICH IS PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME. aND i'M A TERRIBLE YPTIST ANYWAY.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
mINE MAKES A SOUND - WHICH i DON'T HEAR WHEN LISTENING TO THE (INTERNET) RADIO, WHICH IS PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME. aND i'M A TERRIBLE YPTIST ANYWAY.
Mike Lin has a utility ITK which puts a beep in when you hit INSERT and toggle to Overwrite without knowing it.

Insert ToggleKey itk_setup.exe (77kb Self-Extracting Setup)

Ever accidentally turn on overtype, and as a result typed over half a sentence? ITK sounds a tone whenever you press Insert.

He has done a neat range of utilities including a Startup Control that is much nicer for dealing with the Startup entries than msconfig -- for one thing you can delete entries altogether, not just uncheck them.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith
Mike Lin has a utility ITK which puts a beep in when you hit INSERT and toggle to Overwrite without knowing it.

Insert ToggleKey itk_setup.exe (77kb Self-Extracting Setup)

Ever accidentally turn on overtype, and as a result typed over half a sentence? ITK sounds a tone whenever you press Insert.

He has done a neat range of utilities including a Startup Control that is much nicer for dealing with the Startup entries than msconfig -- for one thing you can delete entries altogether, not just uncheck them.
This looks like a neat website. So have you even tried some of the other programs. Which others do you like??

Thanks,
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
This looks like a neat website. So have you even tried some of the other programs. Which others do you like??
Just ITK and Startup Control. The others might be a bit geeky for me <g>

Hugh
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Just ITK and Startup Control.
I have the Startup utilily installed on all the PCs here. Much easier to use than MSConfig. That's the only one of the collection that I have used.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
George

Quote:
Just ITK and Startup Control. The others might be a bit geeky for me <g>
I just tried Clipomatic. Very nice. Just what my text editor needed. The other day I was making changes, and a five page clipboard would have been very handy. I'm going to like this as much as the free screen ruler I got. And, it will be handy in forums also--especially with text with hyperlinks. I'll try the startup next--then, I think that's it.

Thanks,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Startup Control
I *love* that little app!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Often on a particular laptop at work. I use it to record the proceedings of my weekly meeting with my manager, and often have to stop her in mid sentence while I fix up what I've typed. It doesn't help that the screen configuration ensures that the row of indicators is usually off the screen at the time.

And that's one machine I wouldn't be able to put the utility on; there is a ban on non-standard software, with basic user logins unable to install anything anywhere.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
And that's one machine I wouldn't be able to put the utility on; there is a ban on non-standard software, with basic user logins unable to install anything anywhere.

[/indent]
Some days you can't win .....

Hugh