DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 04-24-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Howard White

Default JPEG image size

A site to which I post occasionally enforces a limit of 60kb on attachments. I have some pictures taken with my new toy digital camera which -- after much effort in Photoshop -- I've gotten down to ~90k (as reported by Get Info on the Mac.)

I attached such an image to a mail message just now, and a .jpg that weighs in as 92kb on disk according to Get Info attached to the mail as 23kb.

What gives?

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:22 AM   #2
donmcc

Are you using Save For Web on Photoshop to create the file? A jpg can have header information, and in PS this can be significant.

The other possibility is sectoring on your disk. A hard disk has sectors of various sizes, ranging from 2K to a floppy to many, many K on large hard disks. A file of 1.5K, for instance, will use up 2k on a floppy, but may use 96K on a hard disk, if that is the size of a sector ... you can't get two files into a sector (without compression).
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White
A site to which I post occasionally enforces a limit of 60kb on attachments. I have some pictures taken with my new toy digital camera which -- after much effort in Photoshop -- I've gotten down to ~90k (as reported by Get Info on the Mac.)
EXIF data can take up a good chunk of a JPG file size; saving a JPG as "progressive" format will do away with the EXIF data and lead to a smaller file size. Conversely, if you need to keep the EXIF data, don't use progressive format.

Also check the compression when saving - you can test what's acceptable by using a preview enlarged at 200% - the cutoff point for compressing without losing visual quality is where you begin to see JPEG artifacts.

Also worth exploring is saving as GIF or PNG - if you have a lot of fine detail that won't compress well with JPG and a GIF or PNG file is potentially smaller in that case.

Experiment! (And make sure to keep your original.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote