DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Kalliope

Default Data Merge in ID

I have two issues that I could really use some advise on: 1.) Data Merge with Excel (tab-delimited text file) and InDesign. The data merge place holders don't stay where I put them (ex: state goes to same line as address-as opposed to separate lines where i initially put them) and the zip code doesn't show. 2.) Does InDesign have a barcode - zip code merge like Microsoft Word does? Thank you for anyone that can help. P.S. Inflated lips in advertising bother me too, it's too freudian and freaky. brat dolls are weird.
Kalliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I'm not sure this helps at all but there was a discussion about data merging and Indesign not too long ago and we discovered that the InDesign PageMaker plug-in pack provided the link for the data merge tool (see: this discussion)...hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
Kalliope

Default A reply

Thank you Terrie, I read it and it was a bit too technical for me. I don't rebuild or anything. Adding USB ports is as techie as I get! I am wonding if the barcode is a plug in or something. Thank you for responding. Cheers!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kalliope: Thank you Terrie, I read it and it was a bit too technical for me.
Sorry...I should have pointed out that the pertinent posts were #12 and #13 where data merging in ID was dicussed...

But! it appears that I misunderstood your real question which was barcodes in ID...I did a google search on " 'barcodes in InDesign" and found that you're probably going to have to buy a plug-in to do it this page has a list of ID plug-ins...you might also check Adobe's User to User forums for InDesign and perhaps someone can give you additional advice...

Hope this helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope
I have two issues that I could really use some advise on: 1.) Data Merge with Excel (tab-delimited text file) and InDesign. The data merge place holders don't stay where I put them (ex: state goes to same line as address-as opposed to separate lines where i initially put them) and the zip code doesn't show. 2.) Does InDesign have a barcode - zip code merge like Microsoft Word does?
Puzzling. You mean that when you are merging the file with the ID page, dragging the placeholder text into position, the placeholders physically move, jump up a line, something like that?

Or just that the data appear in the wrong positions?

I assume you are sure the Excel file has everything correct to begin with?

Have you tried discarding your ID prefs, rebooting, all that — make sure your software or computer doesn’t have some sort of problem?

That exhausts my bright ideas on that.

As for #2, I cannot find anything about barcode - zipcode merge with ID. But I am not positive I understand what it is, exactly. Can you explain more? What does Word do?

Sorry.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
Kalliope

Default InDesign Snafu-rama

In Word, in the Date Merge manager dialogue box, there is an option for inserting a barcode, in the dialogue box field titled, Data Source. On large mailings over .05 oz if you print a barcode with the address, the cost via USPS is reduced by .03 cents. As I work for a non-profit government agency, this makes a difference. It is super easy in Word Data Merge and can't seem to find hide nor hair in InDesign. My joy is InBooklet and Data Merge!
I reinstalled InDesign and formatted the Excel tab-delimited text file column holding the zip codes to zip code and it seemed to work. Yahoo! Importing the data into the Excel file and formatting the zipcode after and loosing the leading zero screwed the whole thing up. Anyway. I figured out the issue with the Data Merge and am now just looking for barcode.
Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate not reinventing this wheel (not that I could!).
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope
In Word, in the Date Merge manager dialogue box, there is an option for inserting a barcode, in the dialogue box field titled, Data Source.
Wonder if there is a way to export the result from Word and use that in InDesign? Anyway, in way over my head here.

Good luck with it. After a few more go-rounds you may become the world expert on ID and data merge!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

KT:

Wonder if there is a way to export the result from Word and use that in InDesign?

In InDesign 3 (CS) there's a long list of what ID does and does not take across from Word. That might help.