DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Daudio

Default GoDaddy hosting experiences ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
signed up for a GoDaddy site (a trip in and of itself!)
I set up a lawyers web site on GoDaddy. Actually they choose their hosting based on price I guess, against my advice not to have their domain name and hosting hostage to the same company. I then used them again for my 'Brass Backshop' forum, again for the price ($54 for one years hosting and two years for the domain name).

But the interface to ones account, email settings, hosting, and mySQL controls is horrible. the pages are so crowded with ads for GoDaddys extra cost services, that it is very hard to find the necessary little things to click to work with what you have paid for !

It is possible to do the necessary things one needs to do to manage your domains, email and hosting, but it takes carefull searching of the far too busy pages, more clicks then necessary, a little guessing and wondering if you did things right...

I haven't had any real problems, but I have had to use their phone support twice, to get help on things that should have been better explained on the site. They don't have a user support forum (which I think would be an easy, low cost, support mechanism for them, and better for us). And, I did some research before I jumped in.

I have had hosting through Your-Site and their hosting management tools are seperate from the advertising pages. Much more efficient and comfortable in my book.

GoDaddy's site has to be one of the worst I've had to use to accomplish goals other then just trying to find information on the web...

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
I set up a lawyers web site on GoDaddy.

But the interface to ones account, email settings, hosting, and mySQL controls is horrible. the pages are so crowded with ads for GoDaddys extra cost services, that it is very hard to find the necessary little things to click to work with what you have paid for !

GoDaddy's site has to be one of the worst I've had to use to accomplish goals other then just trying to find information on the web...
No argument there. I think they are deliberately disorganized — they have some theory of marketing that relies on keeping people off-kilter!

I had a couple of problems: Setting up MySQL and e-mail. The SQL was a cinch once I stopped trying to use localhost; turned out you have to click on the little pencil icon next to the DB name to find out the proper name of the server. (That I discovered after digging through a gazillion randomly arranged help pages.)

As for e-mail, first you have to know which “free” e-mail you want, and then do stuff to get it rolling. (Why not just turn it on like other hosts do?)

Then I didn’t particularly want SMTP from them (my ISP is fine), but could find no instructions for doing that, so I eventually gave up. Then outgoing mail didn’t work — turns out I had neglected to choose 250 relays a day and then click Activate again. (That Activate button is always unset-looking, so who knows what state your e-mail is in.)

Ooops. I now see that outbound e-mail still does not work. Guess I will have to use the phone. Sigh.

GoDaddy seemed to be a reasonable choice for the SQL (I had three other hosting plans, for more money, without any).

But I doubt I will be especially loyal. One thing about something cheap, you don’t feel that it is a major investment, so may be a bit fickle!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Daudio

KT,
Quote:
Setting up MySQL and e-mail. The SQL was a cinch once I stopped trying to use localhost; turned out you have to click on the little pencil icon next to the DB name to find out the proper name of the server. (That I discovered after digging through a gazillion randomly arranged help pages.)
I found a nice post in phpBB.com on how to setup phpBB on Godaddy, so I had most of what I needed right at hand when I went to do the job. Godaddy's help (FAQ) pages weren't much good, they really need a support forum.

Quote:
Then I didn’t particularly want SMTP from them (my ISP is fine), but could find no instructions for doing that, so I eventually gave up. Then outgoing mail didn’t work — turns out I had neglected to choose 250 relays a day and then click Activate again. (That Activate button is always unset-looking, so who knows what state your e-mail is in.)
I had a problem there too. I think I had to re-activate the '250 relays' again, to get it working. And it isn't obvious that one needs 250 of something just to get SMTP WORKING !
Bad interface design, again, always, when will 'they' learn...

And, yes for me too, it was the low cost of mySQL services that persuaded me to put up with GoDaddy hosting, but the problems they have are not really related to cost, just stupidity.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
I had a problem there too. I think I had to re-activate the '250 relays' again, to get it working. And it isn't obvious that one needs 250 of something just to get SMTP WORKING !

And, yes for me too, it was the low cost of mySQL services that persuaded me to put up with GoDaddy hosting, but the problems they have are not really related to cost, just stupidity.
Okay — you inspire me. I will go back and give it another try.

What’s weird is that I do believe it would cost them less if they fixed their support functions. And a forum wouldn’t hurt. Oh, well.

So far, it seems to run well, and the cost is right.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
And a forum wouldn’t hurt. Oh, well.
It probably would hurt, as it could fill up with complaints from users who can't see the wood from the trees.....

One of my clients has his domains registered there, and he has given me his account details so that I can manage things for him - and avoid all the exytras. You seem to have to go through hoops just to change nameservers.

You can't fault the cost, though.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
One of my clients has his domains registered there, and he has given me his account details so that I can manage things for him - and avoid all the extras. You seem to have to go through hoops just to change nameservers.

You can't fault the cost, though.
Actually, I seem to have to go through hoops to change nameservers with everyone. I had usingtype.com registered with myhosting.com, which uses OpenSRS. This is the second time I have moved it, so I semi-remembered the drill: write to get the secret ID and password, go to OpenSRS and make the changes.

Another site is registered with Bulk something-or-other; to change that one, I have to contact the host and ask her to make the change.

I have a monthly contract with TextDrive that will allow for 10 domains. They are super hosts, but very, very techie, lacking in documention, rudimentary control panel, etc. On a per-domain basis, that is cheaper than GoDaddy! My struggles with TD (and having multiple domains on one system), though, is what led me to give GoDaddy a try.

I still have the TD contract; maybe a sorjourn with GoDaddy will make me more appreciative.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Actually, I seem to have to go through hoops to change nameservers with everyone.
With the domain registrars I now use it really is very easy. Since I manage around 250 domains currently I'd soon get fed up if I had to use something that takes more than a couple of clicks to set up.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
I've never had any difficulty setting up e-mail addresses with GoDaddy. My broadband ISP won't allow me to use any SMTP other than their own, so I have to set them up with a different SMTP, and it has always just worked perfectly, usually within minutes of setting up. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited by annc; 04-14-2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Finally saw my typo.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I've never had any difficulty setting up e-mail addresses with GoDaddy. My broadband ISP won't allow me to use any SMTP other than their own, so I have to set them up with a different DMTP, and it has always just worked perfectly, usually within minutes of setting up. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Okay. How?

Old 04-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Okay. How?
The screen shot below shows how one of my GoDaddy accounts is set up in Entourage.

In the past, I remember trying to help you and Elyse with Eudora e-mail account difficulties, and found it very hard to get right. So maybe it's your e-mail client.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	127
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	522