DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 03-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
jwoolf09

Default Superimpose links on an image?

Help needed, please:

I have an image, a line drawing, that I want to fill with multiple links, each link in a specific location on the graphic. The positioning of the links isn't in any easily organized way -- think of it as a house plan and I want a link in each room. I want the links to show the standard link text-controls: underline, change color for visited links, possibly mouse rollover effects. In particular, I want a way for the user to see what link he's currently on, like a border around each linked section. As far as I can tell, this can't be done with an imagemap, so I'm looking for another way. (Of course, if it can be done with an imagemap... :-) ).

What's the best way to do this (assuming it can be done at all)? I've tried layers with relative positioning, but I'm having trouble getting the positions to align. I don't want to use absolute positions if I can avoid it, but I will if I have to. I'm also looking for a less time-consuming method than creating multiple versions of the image, each with a slightly different effect on it.

-- JSW
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Map for links

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoolf09
Help needed, please:
What's the best way to do this (assuming it can be done at all)? -- JSW
I am sure what you want can be done, but I can't supply details. Why not image maps? I know I have been reading about them in my HTML books.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
jwoolf09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Why not image maps? I know I have been reading about them in my HTML books.
As far as I can tell, you can't apply style effects to <area> elements within an image map. You can apply styles to the whole image, but you can't do things like change background color on just the selected area, or draw a border around just the selected area. If you can, I can't find how to do it.
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Better understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoolf09
As far as I can tell, you can't apply style effects to <area> elements within an image map. You can apply styles to the whole image, but you can't do things like change background color on just the selected area, or draw a border around just the selected area. If you can, I can't find how to do it.
Now I have a better understanding of what you seek to accomplish.

I suppose the way to do it is to break the large image up into pieces, and then do the links with each individual piece. The pieces could be laid out by layers in DW, and then converted into tables, but you would have of necessity lines (gaps) between the pieces of the image, to provide feedback as to which pieces were used links or whatever by color outlines. Perhaps if you posted the image, there might be a better idea from someone here.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

I believe the only way to do this is with nested divs and absolute positioning of the link elements within an outer div holding the image, so that it becomes a background.

It would also be possible with tables, but probably more of a nightmare than with CSS positioning.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Richard Waller

Image Maps I have used:

http://www.waller.co.uk/imap.htm

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Try this Google search, which seems to propose lots of answers to what you want: how accessible or user-friendly they are I havne't had time to check!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Way back in 1997, when I was doing my very first site with GoLive CyberStudio, it was possible to place elements on a page in much the same way as you would with a page layout program, using a grid. Not sure if the current version of the program, which is now known as Adobe GoLive, still allows this.

What it did, though, was to create hugely bloated code via lots of empty table cells.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
gary

I would say the quickest way to accomplish this is with "roll-overs". Slice and dice the image into the individual pieces corresponding to individual links (or lack of link) and reassemble the image using a table structure or DIVs.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote