DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Daudio

Default Another site critique

I have finially finished copying/writing up a ton of copy for my latest Lawyer Web Site
job. The pages are in fair shape but need further fine tuning. I haven't gotten any feedback or legal correction from my clients yet...

So I hope you can look it over and see if there are things to fix or improve !

The only client feedback I have gotten is on the 'look', which they don't seem too wild about. OK, graphic design is not my strong suit, so any help in that regard would be welcomed. It's a pity they can't see the information and code design

I was very suprised to find that my clients had almost nothing written up for their business, came up with very little (and not very good quality at that), and expected me to blantly copy from other lawyer sites. Well I did copy a lot, but collected, reorganized, and rewrote so much, that I don't feel much like a criminal. And, of course, they knew I didn't know anything about law or DUI coming in to this project.

Is this common ? It is so far away from my experience working as a contract programmer where I rarely had to generate content, now it seems to be the majority of my work. And not the best utilization of my skills...

TIA

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Looks ok in Netscape 7.2...

I think the graphic on the left side of the page is too visible--I'd fade it back by at least 30% or so--because it makes it's distracting when trying to read the text in front of the graphic...

The text size is a bit small but livable; however, "Successful Representation of Drunk Driving, Criminal, and Civil Matters Throughout Michigan" is barely legible...

Cute cop on the "busted what to expect page"...'-}}

Where did the pics you are using come from??

On the "penalties you could face page", "In recent years the" is above and to the left of the page pic separated from the rest of the text. I would think that's not deliberate...

Shouldn't "Drunk Driving Offences" be "Drunk Driving Offenses"--"ses" not "ces"???

As to the expectation that you plagiarize other web pages...pretty tacky given the fact that they are attorneys...hope they are paying you well...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Daudio

Terrie,

Quote:
Where did the pics you are using come from??
A Photodisk CD, I think. I believe it also showed up on a Google images search for "courthouse columns" too. I didn't have much luck with royalty free images online and almost nothing in my Cd image collections, except Photodisk.
I wanted to have some 'legal' type images on the site to break up the text and create some visual interest, but I'm not very happy with what I managed to find (neither is the client). But I put in far too much time searching for whats there as it is.

Quote:
Shouldn't "Drunk Driving Offences" be "Drunk Driving Offenses"--"ses" not "ces"???
Actually both spellings are correct, but I changed them to "ses" to be consistant.

Thanks,

Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Dave:

'Actually both spellings are correct'

Well, that is true, but 'offence' is regarded in the UK as 'correct', while 'offense' is the 'US variant', therefore regarded as correct in the USA. I don't think anyone in the UK is normally interested in US attorneys.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Writing copy is to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
I have finially finished copying/writing up a ton of copy for my latest Lawyer Web Site job. The pages are in fair shape but need further fine tuning. I haven't gotten any feedback or legal correction from my clients yet...

So I hope you can look it over and see if there are things to fix or improve !

The only client feedback I have gotten is on the 'look', which they don't seem too wild about. OK, graphic design is not my strong suit, so any help in that regard would be welcomed. It's a pity they can't see the information and code design

I was very suprised to find that my clients had almost nothing written up for their business, came up with very little (and not very good quality at that), and expected me to blantly copy from other lawyer sites. Well I did copy a lot, but collected, reorganized, and rewrote so much, that I don't feel much like a criminal. And, of course, they knew I didn't know anything about law or DUI coming in to this project.

Is this common ? It is so far away from my experience working as a contract programmer where I rarely had to generate content, now it seems to be the majority of my work. And not the best utilization of my skills...

TIA
It is not suprising that your clients don't have anything already written to describe their law practice. I would have expected lawyers to have better writing skills than some of my clients. A women's exercise place is not in the business of writing or speaking on behalf of their clients, for example.

Your solution is much like mine. I looked at other women's exercise places in other parts of the country, and "borrowed" some ideas for the layout, and for the sales pitches. As a franchise operation, my client already had rights to various trademarks and graphics.

I have an idea about your heading. I will be back to you if it works out.

Terrie is right about the line under the marble top being too small, though.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Graphics Idea

Graphics aren't my strong suit, either, but I had an idea about the marble top of your site.

I took your marble3.jpg image, and worked with it in Paint Shop Pro:
1) First I cut the length to 200 pixels and saved it as one.jpg.
2) Then I did a mirror of the image and saved it as two.jpg.
3) Then I took the one.jpg image and made the canvas 400 pixels.
4) I then switched to the two.jpg and copied it into the clipboard.
5. I picked up one.jpg and pasted the two.jpg image at its right side.
6. Now I have an image with matching marble veins at the middle of the image, which I saved. If it is tiled, the ends match up, too.

The result is below. You may need a different width, feel free to trim equally so it will still tile without apparent seams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marble.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	419  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Daudio

Quote:
Graphics aren't my strong suit, either, but I had an idea about the marble top of your site.

The result is below. You may need a different width, feel free to trim equally so it will still tile without apparent seams.
Thanks ! I used you new marble image as is, looks better !

Old 03-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I have finially finished copying/writing up a ton of copy for my latest Lawyer Web Site job.
The text type is so small here that I had to bump it up two ticks just to read it. (I could read most of it with one tick, at least with effort; but the top line under the pink band took two ticks merely to read the characters.) If that slogan is important, it should be larger than the text, not smaller.

And setting lines like that in hiccup fashion — with initial caps on most of the words — is both hard to read and really, really, old-fashioned (like mid-19th century old-fashioned).

I hate the boxes at right. Boxes are cheap tricks, in design terms. And having four of them stacked up, with different kinds of information and type arrangements in them, is very irritating. And centered text is hard to read and sort of awkward looking. Even at the top: set things flush left, but perhaps indented to align with the left edge of the main text below.

I would move the lawyer name and address — either just above the image or up with the name. Not in the main text area. The reader may not be persuaded at that point, and being forced to grapple with the name could be distracting. I think I would put the blurb first; in quotes, slightly larger size, in [ georgia, serif ], perhaps bold italics, maybe even a different color, all to set it off.

It strikes my eye as odd that the navigation links at left are so much more prominent than the text in the main area of the page. Is that intentional? That blue draws the eye anyway; no need for such a large type size there.

Fine point: subheadings should be closer to the text they introduce than to the text above. I usually use 1em padding above, .5em below (or something to that effect, anyway). And the first head I would break after “of” so Johnson & Johnson always appeared together.

Quote:
I was very suprised to find that my clients had almost nothing written up for their business … Is this common ? It is so far away from my experience working as a contract programmer where I rarely had to generate content, now it seems to be the majority of my work. And not the best utilization of my skills...
Perhaps it is common. It is sort of outrageous. If you get everything right, cool. But what if you violate some lawyerly standard or ethics and they do not catch it — who is responsible?

Normally, I would suggest that you add a writing fee to whatever you are charging for the site design, but then that might make you legally responsible for any errors.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Daudio

Kathleen,

I have adjusted the text sizing and spacing points, hope they are OK now...

Quote:
I hate the boxes at right....
For the moment, I still like them, and don't understand your reaction. perhaps this would be good for another thread...

Quote:
And setting lines like that in hiccup fashion — with initial caps on most of the words
Really ? Again, I like it. Kind of a gradation, and variation, of text intensity, along with heading level and bold. So no one uses this stlye anymore ?

I not only worry a bit about my responsibility for the words I wrote (or copied), but more so for the lawyers who can't seem to be bothered to read and critique them !

I really don't like to type, or to write that much, especially about something I know little about. And no, I'm not getting paid enough, but this is my first real paid job and will be my major portfolio site.

Thanks all for your constructive comments. Don't worry I can take the abuse, but then I don't always follow advice

Old 03-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I have adjusted the text sizing and spacing points, hope they are OK now...
Actually, it seems to be worse. I just took a screen shot to show you what I see.

Quote:
I not only worry a bit about my responsibility for the words I wrote (or copied), but more so for the lawyers who can't seem to be bothered to read and critique them !
Yeah, I would worry too. How can an outsider understand the nuances and legalities of that stuff.

My other comments were from my designer hat. Perhaps some old-fashioned styles serve lawyers well. (I wouldn’t go for it — but then I don’t think I would ever choose a lawyer from a web site anyway!)

Good luck with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daudio.png
Views:	78
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	420