DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default Anything Similar to Scotch Roman

As you guys know (or man not), I mainly do volunteer web page work and my own blog. I've had a request for Scotch Roman. I think I can get by with Times New Roman, but if there's something else that more closely captures the feel of Scotch Roman that I can get either free or really cheap, I'd like a heads up. One of the appealing features of the font (at least for me) is the numbers set and symbols ($ in particular).

Thanks,
Carl
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Carl:

Georgia is very similar to Scotch Roman, available on every Windows (and, I think, Mac) computer, and easy to read on-screen. It also looks nice.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
CarlSeiler

Thanks for the suggestion of Georgia. One of the things about Scotch Roman appears to be the double strike in the $ symble for example. Georgia does have the advantage of not quite being Times New Roman, but not startling. If it's on Mac then I might be able to do this using CSS instead of the image I was planning on doing for the headline.

Carl
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler
Georgia does have the advantage of not quite being Times New Roman, but not startling. If it's on Mac then I might be able to do this using CSS instead of the image I was planning on doing for the headline.
No Scotch Roman sort of font is comparable to Times Roman. The characters are wider, rounder, more “juicy” looking (compared to them, Times looks pinched and anemic! <g>

And of course Times is over-used at this point. And very hard to read on-line.

According to Codestyle (which monitors font availability by browser), Georgia is on more machines on all platforms than Times New Roman or Times (need to specify by both names to catch most Mac and Windows users of Times).

We had a discussion here about the latest Codestyle findings a few weeks ago.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

Thanks for the link to the Codestyle findings. I didn't mean to suggest that Times New Roman was a sufficient replacement for Scotch Roman, just that if I had to get a general serif font that would work in a pinch and I didn't have to pay for, it might do. One of of my cheapy CDs I found something called Elephant that had some of the features I like, but it looks like..er, poo, on the screen, IMHO. Georgia looks like a nice font and its general universality is appealing, but still would like to find something that more closely resembles Scotch Roman. I did find that you can get it as a part of a font package for about $79.00 and individually at about $22.00, but for something I plan to use once and make no money off of, it's probably not going to happen.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I did find that you can get it as a part of a font package for about $79.00 and individually at about $22.00, but for something I plan to use once and make no money off of, it's probably not going to happen.
How many words do you need in Scotch Roman? If not too many and you give me the text and the specs, I will set them for you.

Of if you come up with another you like, I probably have that too. I have Elephant, but think Bodoni Poster would work better on screen. Or Pistilli Roman. But these are a far cry from Elephant!

A lot of good fonts do not work well on screen. The advantage of Georgia, Verdana, et al is that there were super-hinted especially for screen reading. But other fonts can be made to work as well.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I've had a request for Scotch Roman. I think I can get by with Times New Roman, but if there's something else that more closely captures the feel of Scotch Roman that I can get either free or really cheap, I'd like a heads up.
Do all your readers have Scotch Roman? Or do you plan to use it in images only?

Anyway, you probably already have a sort of Scotch Roman: Georgia, designed by Matthew Carter and somewhat based on Miller, his version of Scotch Roman. A big advantage of Georgia, of course, is that most of us have it, as it was part of the MS free web font set and ships (I think) with MSIE.

It lacks Scotch Roman’s double-struck dollar sign, but has lovely figures (though they vary by version so you do not know what your readers may see). Specimens of Georgia and Scotch Roman attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	georgia.png
Views:	152
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	399   Click image for larger version

Name:	scotch_rom.png
Views:	140
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	400  

Old 02-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Do all your readers have Scotch Roman? Or do you plan to use it in images only?
I planned to use it in a handful of images only, except now that you point out Georgia, it may be the best way to go. I like the thinness of the strokes in Scotch Roman, and the "bubbles" on the end of certain figures such as "9." I think Georgia may be the answer, though
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I like the thinness of the strokes in Scotch Roman, and the "bubbles" on the end of certain figures such as "9."
The thin strokes may cause problems at small sizes.

And I have to say that if you like Georgia, you will probably love Miller. I will attach a specimen of Miller Display Roman, which has the $ you like. (So does Miller Titling but Miller Text does not.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miller_display.png
Views:	130
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	401  

Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
The thin strokes may cause problems at small sizes.
Good point. Anyway, it seems it may all be moot as it turns out what they wanted was serif not any particular font, and I think my understanding was that they wanted some specific features of the font, not general character. So it looks like it will be a lot more flexible, and for that Georgia will probably work fine, and if it's widespread, I'll see if I can just go with specifying the fonts with CSS and a few alternatives in case people don't have them, but if readers don't have Georgia, they might not have CSS

Anywho, I've been playing with the new wireless network we added on here at home and checking out all of my web pages on the Palm Pilot my wife has. They all look surprisingly good for a tiny screen, and I'm pleased with that. In the meantime, she's halfway volunteered me for another project so this one will go on the back burner until I figure out how to handle this one. I'll be posting about it in another thread, if I can figure out what section to put it in.

Carl