DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Just think ... your whole CD collection, all in that one magic box.
Won't work for me. Not that I don't appreciate a little music on the road, but my walkman-phone is more than sufficient for that. But a very important part of my CD collection is the information booklets, sometimes so big/thick they don't fit within the CD box: cultural information, artists history and education, information about instruments used, texts of songs, when they're used.... The same reason I never did much of music downloading, since then all that kind of information is missing (quite apart from the fact that the kind of music I'm interested in is rarely available for download anyway).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Yes! Another person who appreciates good "liner notes" with recordings!

I was given a box of empty jewel cases donated to my chorus for housing the CDs burned for learning new songs. I was floored to see that they were all from someone's music collection, someone who was keeping the CDs, but tossing the booklets/liner notes and cases. I couldn't imagine it. Lucky for me, though, I found one case that still had its CD and it's a recording I very much like, so I got a freebie! No, the person who handed the box of empties off to me has no idea who all donated them, because they were passed to her long ago and she didn't need them hanging about her place any longer.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Yes! Another person who appreciates good "liner notes" with recordings!
Heehee - I saw a new thread, and then had to do a double take seeing my name under it - I didn't know the word "liner notes"! Thanks for that. Although - the booklets that don't fit inside could hardly be called liner notes, could they?

Quote:
I was given a box of empty jewel cases donated to my chorus for housing the CDs burned for learning new songs. I was floored to see that they were all from someone's music collection, someone who was keeping the CDs, but tossing the booklets/liner notes and cases. I couldn't imagine it.
I could imagine it only in one case: if the person is a DJ and carts their CDs around in what we call here a "DJ case" - there are little pockets (like hanging file folders) for the CDs only, no place for jewel cases or notes or booklets or whatever. (I have such a case that I'm planning to store for my software CD-ROMS in - but I haven't solved the problem of what to do with the sleeves/liner notes for those since they often contain essential information - I'll need to store them in a way that I can easily "connect" them to the CDs in the case and the catalog I want to make of the CDs.)

Quote:
Lucky for me, though, I found one case that still had its CD and it's a recording I very much like, so I got a freebie!
Good deal!

Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Heehee - I saw a new thread, and then had to do a double take seeing my name under it - I didn't know the word "liner notes"! Thanks for that. Although - the booklets that don't fit inside could hardly be called liner notes, could they?
No, not hardly but "liner notes" is what I always new such info to be called back in the days of vinyl. I don't know the official, modern name, so am defaulting to "liner notes" because I know at least a few people around here will know what I mean. <g>

Quote:
I could imagine it only in one case: if the person is a DJ and carts their CDs around in what we call here a "DJ case" - there are little pockets (like hanging file folders) for the CDs only, no place for jewel cases or notes or booklets or whatever.
Ah, yes, that would make sense, but these gutted cases were virtually all classical and celtic music, not the toe-tapping recordings most DJs would have -- at least not around here!

Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I have too much stuff on the iPod to fit on a walkaphonethingie, and in any case, nearly all of it is from CDs that I've already bought.

I don't really like the idea of downloaded music for the same reasons you mention and also because I don't want to have to muck about with exporting DRM files and all that nonsense. There's not enough of a discount on downloaded music to pay for what you lose.

It may be fine for some people (well obviously it is!) but I'll pass.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
I have too much stuff on the iPod to fit on a walkaphonethingie, and in any case, nearly all of it is from CDs that I've already bought.
As to bought CDs, same here. But I don't need that much on my phone - three whole CDs with plenty of space left to store photographs (I still haven't run out yet) is plenty good enough for me - I could store six if I wanted to and just swap memory cards for taking pics. And if I tire of the CDs (unlikely) I can always listen to the radio. Or take pictures.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I will use my future iPod for toting music, both for chorus practice and just plain listening. I also plan to get a gizmo for recording family history interviews with my mom, other family and friends to the iPod for transfer to the computer and burning to CD for posterity.

When I transfer my music CDs to the iPod, I'll do it with playlists and make my own mixes. In iTunes I already have a bunch of playlists set up.

The only iTunes store downloads I might go for are audio books or music singles when that's the only piece I want off a CD, maybe specialty/novelty recordings for playing at parties and other events with a specific theme. However, anything that I want to enjoy listening to on a regular basis will arrive here on a purchased, physical CD.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I don't often buy CDs (I hear 'em all the time anyway, and we keep a library copy of pretty much everything we manufacture), but luckily our clients prefer to have a physical product that they can sell at concerts and via their websites. Many of them offer track downloads as well, but there are severe limitations to the artwork that comes with d/l music.

Downloading is great if you just want a couple of tracks from an album, but there's a danger that the world will lose the album as an art form. Oh, and I'll never understand why people are prepared to pay £3 for a few bars of music called a ringtone! 50p, maybe. But three quid?
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I can't fathom paying for ringtones either. I have a couple that were built into my old phone and didn't come on my current one, but they were the generic ones. The one I miss the most is Fur Elise, because I've always had my phone set to it -- when my phone rings it is indeed ringing for me, you see.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:30 AM   #10
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I had Yakkety-Yack, the Benny Hill theme tune, on an old phone - always raised a smile!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote