DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default IE Save As vs. Cut & Paste DOCTYPES

I have been looking at a professionally done (supposedly) web site for a neighbor, and I tried getting the source of a few pages from the web, with two different results for the DOCTYPE:

Browser Internet Explorer 6.0 and "Edit > Save As":
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

Browser Internet Explorer 6.0 "View > Source" and copy and paste into Metapad 3.5:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">

Their DOCTYPE of 3.2 is thoroughly antique, and using makes for lots of validation problems because 4.01 is the earliest HTML to recognize CSS. That said, why does the "Edit > Save As" change the setting to HTML 4.0 from the actual file HTML 3.2?

I would be curious to try this with Firefox or other browsers, but the result is interesting. There are other differences, perhaps more understandable, but how does IE choose HTML 4.0 Transistional, over other possible choices?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Browser Internet Explorer 6.0 and "Edit > Save As"
Internet Explorer often rewrites the source of a page if you use "Save as" - at least if you choose "Web page, complete".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
how does IE choose HTML 4.0 Transistional, over other possible choices?
Try all of "view source", Save as "Web page, complete" and Save as "Web page, HTML only". Also - more importantly, try the same with Mozilla or Firefox. You'll probably get a nice collection of different results - with the ones generated by Mozilla or Firefox a bit more reliable. Try any other browser you have available as well. Also, try both pages with embedded images, and ones without.

Can you give us the URLs of some pages you're looking at? (I wonder whether they actually have DOCTYPE statements in the first place?)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Things to try!

Lots of things to try in your response. Perhaps I should start by putting up a test web site and running those trials.

I have been reluctant to post the URL for this neighbor's site, as I am sure they paid plenty to have a professionally done rewrite of the site, and now my neighbor maintains it, probably for free. Trying your suggested tests on his web site might not be wise, it is quite large.

He did appreciate it when I provided the Xenu link checking results, and I learned how to get Xenu to run to the end on a deceptively large web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Internet Explorer often rewrites the source of a page if you use "Save as" - at least if you choose "Web page, complete".

Try all of "view source", Save as "Web page, complete" and Save as "Web page, HTML only". Also - more importantly, try the same with Mozilla or Firefox. You'll probably get a nice collection of different results - with the ones generated by Mozilla or Firefox a bit more reliable. Try any other browser you have available as well. Also, try both pages with embedded images, and ones without.

Can you give us the URLs of some pages you're looking at? (I wonder whether they actually have DOCTYPE statements in the first place?)
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote