DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Comments please!

For the third time...

I have redesigned my site (again), this time it validates.

Just wanted any opinions regarding the design before I continue working on it. There a quite a few pages to add.

I have had some problems uploading the pages, are there any applications better suited to this than Nvu? Even that piece of software we don't mention around here was easier to use in that respect!

Click here to take a look!
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
For the third time...

I have redesigned my site (again), this time it validates.

Just wanted any opinions regarding the design before I continue working on it. There a quite a few pages to add.
I'm afraid I liked the previous color scheme much better. The grey body text is already hard to read on the white background, the much lighter main headings are almost impossible to see! The grey items in the menu makes it look like they are "greyed out", in other words, disabled, rather than live links! Better to swap the orange and grey there so "Home" on the home page is grey (greyed out) and live links are orange. (But good that you do at least now make this distinction!) I remember in teh previous version you had links in the body text as well - did you "lose" them or are they now also grey and thus invisible?

Also the text on your logo has a dark grey background - and seemingly a thin lighter line along the top - I don't like how this contrasts with the black margin. Mabe the page margin could be the same dark grey instead of black?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Help!

I checked that it looked as intended in Mozilla, FF, IE, AOL Explorer, but not in Opera!
Why are there no background images displaying in Opera? Was there something I should have done that I didn't!? I don't want to tear the rest of my hair out (wouldn't take long though - not much left...).

Regarding the colour scheme, I'm firmly ambivalent on that one...
Old 01-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Help!

I checked that it looked as intended in Mozilla, FF, IE, AOL Explorer, but not in Opera!
Why are there no background images displaying in Opera? Was there something I should have done that I didn't!? I don't want to tear the rest of my hair out (wouldn't take long though - not much left...).
You are the only person seeing background images at all, because you have this:
Code:
 background-image: url(file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/BA/My%20Documents/web%20development/boaakerstrom/stripes.jpg);
That points to a file on your machine which only you can see. ;-)

The grey page margin looks better, but I still see a difference between the very dark grey in your logo and the black block next to it. And what's that little diagonally striped block after the main headings? That makes it even harder to read since it's darker that the barely discernable text. Believe me on this: you need more contrast: you may be able to see it perfectly but not everyone is seeing through your eyes. And grey links aren't going to invite people to follow them since they look disabled. It may be artistic, but it isn't usable...

Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

I've tried to rectify this, but every time I attempt to upload Cascades ( Nvu's CSS editor) changes my style sheet to the path you referred to!

I've tried to upload the style sheet via the control panel at my hosting company, to no avail. I'll see if I can upload to HTML pages that way as well.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

That did it!

Apart from taking a very long time it finally works. And I still have hair left!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Your headers (welcome..., who..., etc) are still too faint but better given whatever it was you did...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Your headers (welcome..., who..., etc) are still too faint but better given whatever it was you did...

Terrie
I realise I need to do something about the headers, perhaps I got a little too arty there! Same with the links.

I'm also looking into something more useful instead of the gallery page, which really is basic.

Remember that prior to ditching NOF I didn't really know what a cascading style sheet was (or HTML, for that matter) I'm still learning, so when I know a bit more I can realise what I have in mind.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
I realise I need to do something about the headers, perhaps I got a little too arty there! Same with the links.
Since you're using a background image (yes, I see it now), I switched off images in the browser - and of course the headings are still as barely readable then. You should make sure a page "works" when images are not loaded.

Come to that - I now also noted that the alt text of your logo is "Logotype" which is not equivalent to the image itself which is (mainly) text. Alt text should be able to replace the image content, so if it's an image-of-text the alt text should contain that same text.

Don't worry - you are learning - and fast, obviously.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

I'll do something about it in the morning, it's well past my bed time now.

What are the options regarding uploading the files? Using the control panel (if that's the right word) seemed a bit slow and clunky even if it worked.

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 01-17-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo