DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Lab309

Default Suppress Word's "File Download" dialog?

I use the following code to put a clickable button on a page that can bring up a new page with the MSWord document in it:
<p class="linkbutton">
<input name"BUTTON" type"BUTTON"
onclick="window.open('x.doc')" value=" Read Document ";
</p>

The "linkbutton" class has the characteristics in a CSS page.

When I do click on this, however, the first hing to come up is a dialog box titled "File Download," asking whether or not I want to open or save the file.

In this particular project which is oing to be on a CD and not the net, and nobody should be saving the docment, just reading it, is there a way to get rid of this dialog box?
Lab309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab309
I use the following code to put a clickable button on a page that can bring up a new page with the MSWord document in it:
<p class="linkbutton">
<input name"BUTTON" type"BUTTON"
onclick="window.open('x.doc')" value=" Read Document ";
</p>

The "linkbutton" class has the characteristics in a CSS page.
I miss a bit of context here - what exactly is on the CD? The MS Word documents, obviously, but what else? Just HTML + CSS? Compiled HTML? A browser?

If a browser is not included, then you cannot even count on getting to a new "page with the MS Word document in it": while that is possible (but not necessarily so) with MS IE, it certainly won't happen with Mozilla, Firefox or Opera: they don't do embedded MS Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab309
When I do click on this, however, the first hing to come up is a dialog box titled "File Download," asking whether or not I want to open or save the file.
In this particular project which is oing to be on a CD and not the net, and nobody should be saving the docment, just reading it, is there a way to get rid of this dialog box?
Whether the Word document is immediately opened (in its own window or in a browser window) is also dependent on the user's configuration, specifically security settings. However much they trust your documents on your CD, they shouldn't have to reconfigure their system to automatically open Word documents from web pages instead of being offered the choice between reading and downloading, just for your CD. So if that dialog comes up, that's good. If not, you can't do anything about it either, it's their system, not yours. And anyway, once the document is opened, they'll still be able to save the document; or they'll be able to save it directly off the CD.

You can't prevent that dialog coming up - and you shouldn't; not with HTML anyway. Maybe with JavaScript but not everyone may have that enabled; possibly with ActiveX but that doesn't work with all browsers anyway, so you can't guarantee that effect - if one even allows your ActiveX to run. And you can't prevent the document being saved, not even if you put it on the web, certainly not if you put it on a CD: it's just a file and if it sits on a local CD it can be copied elsewhere.

Another note: The code you show isn't going to work in Mozilla or Firefox unless you wrap a form around it; and it isn't going to work if someone has JavaScript disabled either. Why so complicated? All you need a s a simple hyperlink to the document - if you want it to look like a button you can style it like a button but it's going to work in any browser, whether javaScript is enabled or not.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote