DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Second attempt

I would appreciate any comments on this my second attempt to build a site.

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 07-11-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Link generates a 404(not found) in my stats.
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Richard Waller

Looks fine.

I would have the list of links at the bottom of each page rather than the top.

I would also have my contact details on the homepage.

And you should perhaps help the search engine robots by having your name and USP(Unique Selling Proposition) as the first things on the page. All you are going to get at the moment is the list of links and the word welcome.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
That's a huge improvement, Bo. Congratulations!

However, there are lots of inline styles that would be better put in the css file; as it is at the moment, you have a mish-mash of content and structure in the html file, which makes it hard to edit and difficult to follow.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Is that what first was that frightful mess generated by that abomination we'll no longer mention? Wow! The first thing I note is that not only it looks quite nice, it loads extremely fast - and that's definitely the result of the much better and smaller code with an external stylesheet.

What did you use this time?

Proper use of headings, pity about the table layout but I'll let that pass for now. And I like the color scheme.

On closer inspection, there are a couple of problems though.
  • When I run it through the validator, it grumbles that it doesn't recognize the DOCTYPE. I don't know what egnerated it, but it is indeed not quote correct. You have:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Strict//EN">
    and that should be:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
    (Strict is the default and should not be specified; only TRansitional or Frameset should be); or you could use the full form:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
  • Your document title is "Home". That won't help much in being found Given the content of the home page I'd suggest "Bo Aakerstrom's home on the web!"
  • My eternal quibble: don't link to "home" on the home page (or to any page on that page): use the menu to let people "where they are".
  • The styling for links causes a problem (see attachment): not only do you get a space before a comma (the French do that but in English it's not correct) but the word "gallery" no longer lines up with the left margin. The color and hover color are quite enough to make the links "stand out", so get rid of their margin.
  • Links page only has internal links in spite of what you state on the home page - I guess that page isn't finished yet
  • Rates and Terms and conditions page have no menu - only "Back to the links page" which may not be where people want to go next!

Probably superfluous but I'll mention it anyway: You also need to do some proofreading - I see several spelling/grammatical errors. For instance:
  • (home) "On the links page I have collated a few useful URLs which mostly relates to design..." -> relate (plural)
  • (home) "even if there are somesites that are included" -> some sites
  • (links) "My rates are different depending on weather" - oh, nice, so you have lower rates when the sun is shining and you're feeling cheerful? I think you mean "whether" here
  • (rates) "Release forms is an issue that can both complicate matters if not dealt with correctly, as well as affecting the final cost.". Complicate how? And what do you do about it? Rates? And plural again: -> Release forms are an issue / form an issue ...
  • (terms & conditions) "prior to any work commences" (several times) Incorrect grammar, needs rewrite, e.g., prior to commencing any work (but even that isn't quite correct in that sentence)
  • (terms and conditions) "The costing(s) is the proposal " ?? in? of? Can "costing" have a plural?
  • (terms and conditions) "the client are not permitted to use" -> is not permitted
  • (about) "was done in-house.When" needs a space after the period
  • (about) "Weather the output is going to be..." sunshine again! You mean "Whether"
  • (about) "aestetics" -> aesthetics
  • (about) "in mind ( as opposed to" lose the space after the (
  • (about) "but it adds carachter" -> character
  • (about) "I am more intrested" -> interested
I'm sure there is more, you get the idea. Running your copy through a spelling checker will help (but would not catch the "weather").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap114.png
Views:	106
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	321  

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
What did you use this time?
Nvu

Quote:
When I run it through the validator, it grumbles that it doesn't recognize the DOCTYPE
Nvu generates this, I'll try to change that to transitional.

Regarding the proofreading, I will run it through a spellchecker. After all these years in the UK I still speak Swedish in English sometimes!

I'll give the formatting a once over when I finish the rest of the content, style sheets is still new to me and as soon as I figure out what is possible to do using them I'll get it sorted.

<div>'s gives me a headache, I'll have to learn more first before attempting to use them!

Charging less when it is sunshine might be a good idea here in England!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 01-12-2006 at 03:56 AM. Reason: adding content
Old 01-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
[Doctype]
Nvu generates this, I'll try to change that to transitional.
You might want to report that as a bug to them then!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
I just did (I feel like an "expert" already...).

I've read quite a few articles about html, css and so on lately for or against various aspects of what constitutes good web design, but I'd like to have your opinion on this: by using the strict doc type do you "force" the user agent (...see, I start to use funny words as well) to use the style sheet?

I don't even know if this question makes sense, I might only show my ignorance!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Nvu has been developed to default to XHTML1.0 transitional (although this can be changed to strict) for new pages. I understood that HTML4 was included to allow people to edit "old" sites rather than for creation of new ones; there is no mention of of a bug on the Nvu forum. Jerry Muelver is a mod on the bug forum!!

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Nvu has been developed to default to XHTML1.0 transitional (although this can be changed to strict) for new pages. I understood that HTML4 was included to allow people to edit "old" sites rather than for creation of new ones; there is no mention of of a bug on the Nvu forum. Jerry Muelver is a mod on the bug forum!!
The following is a quote from the user guide: "Beginners may be rubbing sore heads at this point (true, true). For them my recommendation would be to use Strict HTML. This may sound odd but it actually increases capability because it triggers browsers to make better use of CSS styles.", so that's what I did!

Oh, well.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Bo

I don't think it really matters which coding standard you use for a site like this, as long as the code is valid. The use of a "strict" dtd does ensure that the browsers will display the pagemore reliably (IE excluded, as ever). However, that does come with a caveat. The page code must validate. All your pages except the homepage are valid. The index page problem is because you have used <a.one href= etc in the code. a.one is not recognised. It should be simply <a href=

I really like the simple site layout and careful use of colour.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote