DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Around the World in 80 days

There is a project in the South West of England at the moment trying to get as many people as possible to Read Jules Vernes book - They also have a childrens edition. The idea is just to get as many people reading it and talking about it.
I do read a lot but have never read it and am halfway through it and can only say just go out and read it. It is really good and easy to read
Peter
They have printed books especially for the project - and got sponsers for it
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
donmcc

The Verne books are generally on www.gutenberg.org, should anyone here want to read it. I've read several books from gutenburg ... of course, I pump it through ID first to set the text in something readable. Nearly impossible to read a novel in courier.

Don McCahill

Last edited by annc; 01-09-2006 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in link.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
The Verne books are generally on www.gutenberg.org, should anyone here want to read it. I've read several books from gutenburg ...
Unfortunately, some of those are only English translations - I don't see a French version of "around the world". When I know a language I prefer to read books in their original version rather than a translation. But I wasn't disappointed to see at least some of his books are available at Gutenberg in French!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
donmcc

Nope. Lots of foreign translations (or in this case, non-translations). Vernes 20000 leagues (20000 Lieues Sous Les Mers — Complete) is at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5097 if you want it in French.

Don
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
Nope. Lots of foreign translations (or in this case, non-translations). Vernes 20000 leagues (20000 Lieues Sous Les Mers — Complete) is at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5097 if you want it in French.
Lots, yes. Except Round the world in 80 days. Or at least I don't see it!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I hadnt even thought about it - but why did he write about an Englishman
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
jvecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Lots, yes. Except Round the world in 80 days. Or at least I don't see it!
Go here, Marjolein! It is there allright.

I have fond memories of that old masterpiece as last year I was close to combine jobs at hand in such a way I would actually have to make a Tour du Monde. Starting of flying to the US, then Japan, make a small detour to China and then fly back to Holland.

It did not work out and we split it up. Then when in the US I came across a cheap copy of the English version at Books a Million, read it again and highly enjoyed myself making comparisons with what we nowadays see as normal - things even Mr. Verne never thought about.

I later discovered the text and much more on Gutenberg. I set about creating a version in Scribus with the original text and a commentary on the side reflecting on how much our world has since changed. Fun to do, although I stopped going on after Chapter 2 as I did not feel my creation was good enough to continu.

regards,

Just
jvecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
Go here, Marjolein! It is there allright.
Excellent, thank you! When I looked before I didn't see it in the index... I'm glad it's there after all. Good for taking a break fom the boring job of (re)archiving all my negatives before embarking on scanning it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
(...) highly enjoyed myself making comparisons with what we nowadays see as normal - things even Mr. Verne never thought about.

I later discovered the text and much more on Gutenberg. I set about creating a version in Scribus with the original text and a commentary on the side reflecting on how much our world has since changed. Fun to do, although I stopped going on after Chapter 2 as I did not feel my creation was good enough to continu.
As long as it's good enough for yourself! But then our priorities change all the time.