DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default Site critique please

I'm redoing a site that I first designed many years ago, and have the design and content of the home page ready for critique. It validates with the W3C, gets a 100 score on sitening and displays as expected in Safari and Firefox on the Mac, and in Firefox, Opera and Mozilla on my Windows box.

But in IE6 (of course) there are a couple of problems. For a start, the right-hand column of pics sits up into the top banner; also, if I narrow the window, the entire centre column jumps down below the left-hand menu; and the flyout menu (hover over Events to see this) is in small text. It is the same size as the main menu in all other browsers.

I'm sure I knew once how to stop the centre column sliding down in IE6, but can't remember how. The other problems in IE are a mystery to me.

Any critical comments and advice welcome.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Oh, forgot to mention – the links don't work yet.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

Quote:
annc: Oh, forgot to mention – the links don't work yet.
LOL!!! I was just going to post that it looks great in Netscape 7.2 but the links don't work...'-}}

Some small things:

1. Intro section: "These facilities..." is indented. Intentionally?


2. In the "Training Events" section: "Many of our members..." is indented. Intentionally? Also, is "These events..." supposed to be a para on its own or is it is sentence in the "Many of our members..." para??

3. In the "Training Events" section: "Pony dressage..." is indented. Intentionally?


Aussie terminology question: "There are about 200 stables of solid construction on the grounds..."

Here in the States, "stables" means the building. What we would say is "there are about 200 stalls of solid construction on the grounds" perhaps adding "in X number of barns/stables"...

Sooo..."stables" refers to individual horse containers ('-}}) of some sort???

Oh! One last comment...great pics! Yours?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Some small things:

1. Intro section: "These facilities..." is indented. Intentionally?


2. In the "Training Events" section: "Many of our members..." is indented. Intentionally? Also, is "These events..." supposed to be a para on its own or is it is sentence in the "Many of our members..." para??

3. In the "Training Events" section: "Pony dressage..." is indented. Intentionally?
Yes to all. Same as in print – First para after a head is flush left, all paras after that are indented.


Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Aussie terminology question: "There are about 200 stables of solid construction on the grounds..."

Here in the States, "stables" means the building. What we would say is "there are about 200 stalls of solid construction on the grounds" perhaps adding "in X number of barns/stables"...

Sooo..."stables" refers to individual horse containers ('-}}) of some sort???
Here they can be either. I tend to say 'box' where you say 'stall', because a stall is usually what you get at the racetrack, where there is no space for the horse to turn around. 'box' is short for 'loose box'. But stable can mean either an individual box or a stable block. We usually do say 'stable block', but not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Oh! One last comment...great pics! Yours?
Yes - all mine! Thanks.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

Quote:
annc: Yes to all. Same as in print – First para after a head is flush left, all paras after that are indented.
Ahhh...thought that might be what's going on...I'm a flush left person myself...somewhere along the line I stopped indenting...

That said, then shouldn't "These events are also..." be indented???


>>Here they can be either. I tend to say 'box' where you say 'stall',

Interesting...we don't use "box" but I know what it means from reading.


>>because a stall is usually what you get at the racetrack, where there is no space for the horse to turn around. 'box' is short for 'loose box'.

Even more interesting because we'd call that a "standing stall" (not seen much here in the States now) and all of them at the race track are full sized boxes/stalls...


>>But stable can mean either an individual box or a stable block. We usually do say 'stable block', but not always.

I'll remember that...I've seen "stable block" in books but it's not a common term here...

Ain't English grand!!! LOL!!!


>>Yes - all mine! Thanks.

You're welcome...you've got a nice mix on the page...what are you shooting with these days? I'm really pleased with the Canon Rebel XT I bought...it's soooo nice to have an slr and being digital just sweetens the deal...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Ahhh...thought that might be what's going on...I'm a flush left person myself...somewhere along the line I stopped indenting...
Well, when you do magazines for a living, indenting becomes second nature, and flush left with a space above looks a bit like word-processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
That said, then shouldn't "These events are also..." be indented???
Indeed it should! Thanks for picking that up – on all my screens, the new para didn't show at standard width, and when I narrowed the window, I was watching the behaviour of the top text and photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Ain't English grand!!! LOL!!!
Indeed! Life would be far less interesting if we all spoke it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
what are you shooting with these days? I'm really pleased with the Canon Rebel XT I bought...it's soooo nice to have an slr and being digital just sweetens the deal...'-}}
I'm using an Olympus E-20P, which I bought nearly three years ago. It is very forgiving, and I get some great action shots with it. The lens (as always with Olympus) is very good quality, but I badly need more zoom to get decent shots from a greater distance. I find I have to stand at B or E (half way along the arena) to get 8 x 10 photos after cropping that are mostly horse and rider, and this is what I need to sell them.

The indoor at Nambour is notoriously difficult for photographs, because it is actually open-sided, and has only the minimum of artificial lighting, with darkish skylights. So anything inside tends to be underexposed unless you stop right down, and then you get blurred movement and overexposed external backgrounds, which is not what you want for dressage. At the international event (CDI-W) last year, I was very disappointed with the results, but this photo, where I carefully worked on the horse and rider in Photoshop, shows how the Olympus lens gives minimal artifacts under quite difficult conditions. When I e-mailed the mother of the rider asking permission to use the photo there, she liked it so much she bought it! I did warn her I couldn't provide a high res version, but she bought it anyway and was very happy with the prints she got from it at a photo lab.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

Quote:
annc: Indeed it should! Thanks for picking that up
You're welcome...that was why I was confused about the indenting...when I was doing the layout for the local horsey mag, I did of course follow their standard using indents but when I'm doing my own stuff which is rarely if ever pub'd, I use flush left...


>>Indeed! Life would be far less interesting if we all spoke it the same way.

I think so too...'-}}


>>I'm using an Olympus E-20P, which I bought nearly three years ago. It is very forgiving, and I get some great action shots with it.

I looked seriously at the Oly line--I like Oly cameras!--specifically the E-300 and E-500 (just out) and in the end, decided that I'd go with the Rebel XT. I would loved to have bought the Canon D20 (couldn't even think about the higher end Canon cameras given their cost) but the $600 price diff was 2 lenses in my mind.


>>The lens (as always with Olympus) is very good quality, but I badly need more zoom to get decent shots from a greater distance. I find I have to stand at B or E (half way along the arena) to get 8 x 10 photos after cropping that are mostly horse and rider, and this is what I need to sell them.

Yeah, I know that feeling...what telephoto do you use?

I bought 2 Tamron lenses...the 28-75mm which is a fast lens but has turned out to be quite heavy and I need to play with more than I have and the 18-200mm which is turning out to be very nice and while a slower lens than the 28-75mm, I've bumped the ISO to 1600 and have found no real artifacts. With 8mp, I can crop pretty far down and still have something half way decent.


>>So anything inside tends to be underexposed unless you stop right down, and then you get blurred movement and overexposed external backgrounds, which is not what you want for dressage.

Indeed! I hate that...that's a fab photo by the way...


Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
...what telephoto do you use?
None. This was the last of the professional cameras with a locked in lens.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

Quote:
annc: None. This was the last of the professional cameras with a locked in lens.
Oh bummer! I was thinking that perhaps my old 200mm Oly lens--from my OM-1--might fit your camera and since it appears that no one wants to buy my old system, I would have been happy to send you the lens to have and use...nevermind...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Oh bummer! I was thinking that perhaps my old 200mm Oly lens--from my OM-1--might fit your camera and since it appears that no one wants to buy my old system, I would have been happy to send you the lens to have and use...nevermind...'-}}

Terrie
Thanks for the thought, Terrie.

You might like to advertise it on eBay.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my site better now? zofiaphoto Web Design 19 08-24-2006 04:12 AM
WWW Site Down? HTMLAlan Web Site Building & Maintenance 13 07-23-2006 01:38 PM
Another site critique Daudio Web Design 25 03-08-2006 11:46 PM
OpenType format critique ktinkel Fonts & Typography 1 01-20-2006 03:10 PM
Yet another CSS help site annc Web Site Building & Maintenance 4 10-07-2005 09:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.