DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default How can this site improve ranking?

Helping my sis search for her chiropractor's web site I found that it doesn't come up via what I think is a logical Google search, the woman's name in quotes. I don't want to mess up the ranking yet by posting it as a live link here (which Google will gobble right up), so, sorry, but you'll have to copy/paste to go to blest4today.com and look around.

Her clients refer to her by first and last name, and don't include her middle initial, but she seems to always use the initial on the site. That's tripping up the search, especially when putting the name in quotes. Am I right?

For a variety of reasons I really expected the site to be easier to find and I suspect the doctor is missing business because of it, but has no idea that's happening.

On her home page I think she should switch that top image with her name and turn at least her name into regular text. The page title should also be something decent and not just "Home" of course! What else would make it easier for clients to find her?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

She has a Google page rank of 5, which is very respectable. I searched on the three words tanya english chiropractic and got her as the first hit.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
She has a Google page rank of 5, which is very respectable. I searched on the three words tanya english chiropractic and got her as the first hit.
Huh. I wonder why I didn't see her that high up?

Now, her big draw (the reason my sis goes to her) is that B.E.S.T. technique she uses. If someone's searching for her name with "best" or "BEST" or "B.E.S.T." (all the same to SEs, no?), she's stuck with wherever she lands, right? I mean, "best" is a pretty useless word to include in a SE search. As a site builder, how do you work with names and acronyms like that -- vital to the client (the chiro as well her clients), but also a plain ol' word?

I ran into trouble searching with that exact word last year when researching furniture manufacturers. The one I was trying to find has been known as both Best Furniture and Best Chair. Try doing a search on those at Google and see how many irrelevant sites that finds! Sometimes you just want to thump some companies up the side of the head and ask, "What on earth were you thinking when you named yourselves??" |-(

Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Huh. I wonder why I didn't see her that high up?
Because you used a specific phrase. I only do that if the individual words don't work first up.

Quote:
Now, her big draw (the reason my sis goes to her) is that B.E.S.T. technique she uses. If someone's searching for her name with "best" or "BEST" or "B.E.S.T." (all the same to SEs, no?), she's stuck with wherever she lands, right? I mean, "best" is a pretty useless word to include in a SE search. As a site builder, how do you work with names and acronyms like that -- vital to the client (the chiro as well her clients), but also a plain ol' word?

I ran into trouble searching with that exact word last year when researching furniture manufacturers. The one I was trying to find has been known as both Best Furniture and Best Chair. Try doing a search on those at Google and see how many irrelevant sites that finds! Sometimes you just want to thump some companies up the side of the head and ask, "What on earth were you thinking when you named yourselves??" |-(
'Best' is a really bad name. Too broad, meaningless, and far, far too common! I'd change it, frankly. I searched for best +chiropractic +"iowa city" and still came up with 21,700 entries to wade through. They'd be far better off naming it for the practitioner who invented it, or give it some more descriptive term.

Okay, I searched for Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique (not as a phrase) +chiropractic +"iowa city" and she came up first of 29.

Do most people know the full name of the technique?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

However, she could improve on that by putting in a doctype, some keywords, and description. And better page titles, as you mention.

I'll leave the finer points to Kelvyn and Lois.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
However, she could improve on that by putting in a doctype, some keywords, and description. And better page titles, as you mention.

I'll leave the finer points to Kelvyn and Lois.
As for keywords, see my question about dealing with the B.E.S.T. acronym I mentioned in my other reply.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Home page address

Her home page should give her address, too. People looking for any local business are likely to put in "service Iowa City" and having at least the town is likely to be helpful.

Also, a search on "Iowa City chiropractor" provides some directories of chiropractors, and at least some of them don't have her name or her place in them. She should look into getting listed in those directories, even if it costs a bit. Those entries can help in search engine rankings. Example:

http://iowa~city-ia.addresses.com/ci...wa-ia-128.html

The other HTML improvements are badly needed, too. This is a fairly small and simple site, so trying for W3C validation would be a good idea, too, but of course no DOCTYPE is a bad start for trying to validate.

Quote:
As for keywords, see my question about dealing with the B.E.S.T. acronym I mentioned in my other reply.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 12-29-2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added an example
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Another point against her is the URL. It has no connection with her business or personal names. Fine if you have her business card in front of you, but very difficult to guess.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Another point against her is the URL. It has no connection with her business or personal names. Fine if you have her business card in front of you, but very difficult to guess.
The domain name is a problem since it has no connection with the subject matter at all - but so are individual page URLs. "About us" is page3.html instead about.html or aboutus.html, "Seminars" is page7.html (guess what that one should be)... etc.

The home page welcomes me with:
Quote:
Welcome to our website.
We are so glad you are here.
We welcome your feedback.
but I see no obvious place to give feedback.

Just two things that are immediately apparent to me. This site doesn't need SEO - it needs a complete redesign first.

That said, changing a domain name may make your site lose its page rank - careful there.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
The domain name is a problem since it has no connection with the subject matter at all - but so are individual page URLs. "About us" is page3.html instead about.html or aboutus.html, "Seminars" is page7.html (guess what that one should be)... etc.

The home page welcomes me with: but I see no obvious place to give feedback.

Just two things that are immediately apparent to me. This site doesn't need SEO - it needs a complete redesign first.
Amen to all that. Thanks for the confirmation of what I should pass along. My sis tells me the doc has some web design company doing the site, so I need to give specific examples of what needs changing. Pipe up if you see anything else to comment on!