DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Acrobat RDR 5.1 No print

Instead of printing, Acrobat Reader 5.1 gives me a message "Acrobat Reader" in the heading, "? The document could not be printed."

Can a PDF be set to not print?

Alternatively, can a newer PDF not print with Reader 5.1, even though it is displayed?

Normally, I post over with the former INETPUB members, but this discussion group seems to know Acrobat very well.

www.scssd.org has the newsletter giving me the message.

David
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

David, you can set PDF security on a document so it doesn't print, text cannot be copied etc.

If it is a compatibility problem you just get a warning that there is something wrong form the reader (e.g. unsupported colorspace etc,.), or else it prints PostScript error info, IME at least.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Yes, but this one has not been set not to print; in fact, there is no security at all.

Quote:
Alternatively, can a newer PDF not print with Reader 5.1, even though it is displayed?
Perhaps. But I think its size is the problem. The error may not originate with Reader but with your printer driver. This is a 2.2MB PDF, with 28 embedded fonts, and gazillions of images.

When I tried to print page 1, it took more than 60 seconds before the print screen cleared; and it has been more than 6 minutes and it still has not emerged from my HP 5000 (B&W) printer.

I think this file is an abuse of Acrobat. <g>

Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Not my work!

This is not my work, just some research for a client. The reader is giving me the message, but maybe because it has feedback from the printer driver. I was trying to print on a HP 4 Plus, a workhorse but not a recent printer at all.

Screen capture let me print out the facts that I needed. Nobody, but nobody needs 28 embedded fonts.

Feel free to write to the SCSSD about how strange this PDF is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Yes, but this one has not been set not to print; in fact, there is no security at all.

Perhaps. But I think its size is the problem. The error may not originate with Reader but with your printer driver. This is a 2.2MB PDF, with 28 embedded fonts, and gazillions of images.

When I tried to print page 1, it took more than 60 seconds before the print screen cleared; and it has been more than 6 minutes and it still has not emerged from my HP 5000 (B&W) printer.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Feel free to write to the SCSSD about how strange this PDF is.
Naw, doubt I will bother. It was so odd that I had to figure it out, that’s all.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Somewhere in the Reader printer dialog box, you should be able to find an option labeled something like "Print as image". Put a check next to that and try again.

That often solves this kind of problem, particularly with non-PS printers.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Reader 7 Does Print

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I can print this file with Adobe Acrobat 7 Reader. I installed Reader 7 in my alternate boot system, and it does print the pages I wanted from this file.

This file is an absurd mix of various fonts and too much material for one newsletter. I notice that this is the Spring 2005 newsletter, and there hasn't been another one.

The site itself is ranked 2 by Google, doubtless because it uses framing throughout, has no DOCTYPE, and otherwise fails to give search engines much to go on. A similar organization in Center City is ranked 6 by Google.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
This file is an absurd mix of various fonts and too much material for one newsletter. I notice that this is the Spring 2005 newsletter, and there hasn't been another one.
They would be better off doing something more modest more often.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

David:

You'd see that (under 'Security' in File Information). However, I've had PDFs that won't print or won't open when viewed in older Acrobat Readers, although there should not have been a problem.

The difficulty sometimes appears to have been caused by the program with which the PDF was made, usually a scanning program.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
The difficulty sometimes appears to have been caused by the program with which the PDF was made, usually a scanning program.
This PDF was made with InDesign CS2.