DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Gertrudis natural media effects

There is software, such as Painter, that lets you paint with brushes that look like natural media. Then there is software that uses algorithms to add texture and color variation to photos in an attempt to make them look like natural media. Gertrudis falls into the second category, except Gertrudis allows you to brush on the effect, and this means that you can vary the stroke size, style, color, saturation, density, and lots of other variable while doing this. So, for example, you could have it apply smaller strokes around the eyes of a subject, and very broad strokes in the background.

I tried the Pro demo version of Gertrudis very briefly, and I think it is the sets a new standard for this type of software. Whether I could use it to create a final image I like, I don't know. But if you have any interest in this type of software, this one is worth a test drive.

Runs on Windows XP, 2000, NT 4.0, Millenium

http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Wow!!! quite nice...definitely worth a closer look...thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

If you try it, let me know what you think.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: If you try it, let me know what you think.
Will do...I'll probably try and download it sometime this week...will keep you posted...

Terrie
Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Will do...I'll probably try and download it sometime this week...will keep you posted...

Terrie
Yeah, I'd like to know what the difference is between cloning in Painter and using this--apart from the vast difference in price, I mean<G>

I can tell at a glance it's quite different from PhotoArtMaster Gold. Very different results.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cristen: Yeah, I'd like to know what the difference is between cloning in Painter and using this--apart from the vast difference in price, I mean<G>
Ok...here's the report:

The demo only allows you to work with their demo photos but there are 8 of them and there is enough variety to give you a feel for what the software can do.

The documentation/help is a bit skimpy--for example, there is no documentation on the brush styles at all which is a shame because when choosing the "oil" style changing the brush can give odd results (I think it may be a bug but who knows?)...

If one has experience with something like Painter, figuring out how to use the software is not all that difficult. There is enough info in the limited Help to get you going if you'd not played with anything like this before.

The sliders that control the settings are a pita as it's hard to set the value you actually might want but perhaps as you get used to using the sliders, it might become easier...

It's pretty slick.

Personally, I wouldn't use it on pic where recognizable people are the main focus of the image because (in my limited playing) there isn't enough variation in the strokes to make it look painted and it's also hard to get some of the detail on might want to add--like the eyes and mouth.

That said, it does a nice job (again, within the constraints of my limited playing) with landscapes...

The output is different from what you can do with Painter's cloning Method (not turning clone color to ON). I was able to get one of their example images (the parrot) and I opened it in Painter and changed the Method to "clone" (a setting I rarely, if ever, use in Painter) for a pastel brush and the result is not what one gets from Gertrudis Pro. The GPro result has more variation and is more painterly.

Basically, GPro leans towards some of Painter's more sophisticated functionality of turning Painter's clone color to ON without the steeper Painter learning curve.

GPro certainly doesn't have Painter's depth and flexibility but if you didn't have Painter, a graphics tablet (GPro works fine with a mouse), wanted to do something quickly with landscapes or still lifes (not people) and for $67, it's probably worth the cost.

I just might buy GPro but I'm going to download the GertrudisPS software first and see what the difference is because at $37, if it does most of what the Pro version does, I'll probably buy that instead.

Will report back...

Ok...downloaded the GertrudisPS software and the main diff between it and the Pro version is that you don't have a choice of "brushes"--in Pro there are "oil", "crayon", "pastel" brushes. Other than that, PS is quite similar to Pro. The sliders are even more annoying...'-}}

Given that I have Painter, if I were going to buy one of them, I'd probably buy the PS version at $37.

One thing I was thinking was that it might be interesting to use either Pro or PS as an initial step and then take the result into either Photoshop or Painter and play with things more.

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention that's pretty cool is that you can "save to a different size" and it appears (didn't play with it all that much) to resize in a rather sophisticated way--no jaggies or anything...

With the demos versions, you can only save to jpg, bmp or tif...not sure if the full versions would allow you to save as a PSD--might depend on what you start with and I think the demo images are probably jpgs but as they are somehow embedded in the software (couldn't find them in the software directory), I'm not sure...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 12-05-2005 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add info on GertrudisPS demo
Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

The Pro version adds bitmap brushes. The PS version only has the vector brush. And the bitmap brushes can do things the vector brush cannot. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the vector brush in the Pro version to give me the same quality I get in the PS version. And I like some of what the vector brush does in the PS version.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Me again. I figured out how to get the vector brush in the Pro version to give me the quality I liked in the PS version. And here is another difference. The Pro version has individual settings for how much to auto-vary hue, saturation, and lightness. The PS version only has a "gain" control, which doesn't work as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

Okay, good report. This sounds interesting enough to get the demo and see for myself. And I'll try out both the PS and Pro versions, too. See if the differences Andrew mentions are critical or not, seeing as how I'd take the final version into Painter for further development anyway. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

I didn't try the vector stuff at all...will give that a try in the next couple of days...

Terrie