DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
dablog

Default Dreamweaver 8 Settings?

When I upload files to my CFMX server it takes several minutes for the update to post on the on the server. Now, I uninstalled D8 and installed DMX and everything is working fine. Am I missing a configuration setting in Dreamweaver 8?

Please help!!!

dablog
dablog.cmykwebdesigns.com

Last edited by dablog; 11-12-2005 at 08:50 AM.
dablog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

By CFMX do you mean a cold fusion server? What happened if you tried to publish the updated files by a good ftp program while DX8 was still installed? Was DW8 an update from an earlier version so inherited the previous settings?

It is difficult to be able to say if you had the config wrong if you don't tell us what it was......

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
dablog

Yes, by CFMX I mean the Coldfusion 7 MX server. I tried to do it through an ftp after reading this and the pages still don't update when viewing them online. I had completely uninstalled DWMX and installed DW8 clean. The only setting that were brought over were the Sites.

I've always accepted the defaults in DWMX & DW8.

Ok, so let's say I'm adding simple text to a file on the server. When I upload the file and then view it through a browser it should have the updates of text that I just put in but it doesn't. I usually have to wait a minute or two for the update to show up.

In doing some more testing I've deleted a specific file and am still able to access it (seems cached). But this happens if I view the deleted page through any machine on my network. I've even gone to a machine that had never gone to the site (no cache) and that machine was still able to get to it. After about 2 mins or so I am able to update the page twice (hit refresh) and then I have to wait the 2 mins again.

dablog

Last edited by dablog; 11-12-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
dablog

It doesn't look like it was DW8 or DWMX. IIS 6.0 was caching the site files. This is a known problem and was supposed to have been fixed in SP1 for Win2K3 Server, but it wasn't. After uninstalling all the hotfixes, SP1 and rebooting upteen amount of times I finally had the bright idea of uninstalling IIS 6 and reinstalling it. That FINALLY WORKED!!

Thanks for the responses!!

dablog
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Good to know you fixed it. I operate on a simple rule for web servers. Never use Microsoft.....

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
dablog

LOL - Ok, after all that and some more testing that still didn't fix it. I reverted back to my old Win2k server and everything is working fine now (for real). I guess I'll be rebuilding the Win2k3 server to Win2k.......

dablog
Old 11-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Never use Microsoft.....
I have one of my sites on the Eastates Gazette server Mediatel, and the boss there has taken a vow beneith a blasted oak in the middle of the forest never to use anything wot Bill Gates wrote.

So I have to come out of my normal Windows access to the Internet and sign up for access to Mediatel, and then use a WinSCP3 FTP program. And when I have finished there I have to come out of both these and join real life again. It really is a PITA.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
dablog

After much pain and agony I've decided to reinstall the server with Windows 2000 Server. I can't figure out the problem and I've looked everywhere on the net possible and still no resolution.... =0(

dablog
Old 11-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Sounds like a reasonable solution for you.