DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 11-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Adrian

Default Converting spot colour to CMYK in InDesign

Hi!
We have inherited a project for revision. It was set up in Quark 4.1 and we have converted it to InDesign CS. When we preflight, we are getting CMYK, Spot (CMYK) and Pantone colours showing. Is there a quick and easy way to change the Spot (CMYK) and Pantone colours to CMYK, so that we have just the four film separations?
Best wishes, Adrian
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
Is there a quick and easy way to change the Spot (CMYK) and Pantone colours to CMYK, so that we have just the four film separations?
Best wishes, Adrian
I do it in the swatch palette. Any spot colours, even if CMYK, will have an open circle on the grey box immediately to the left of the coloured box than indicates whether or not they are CMYK or RGB. Make sure you have no elements in the documents selected, and then double-click the colour example square to the left of the swatch name. You can then change the Colour Mode and Colour Type to CMYK and Process respectively, and the change will take effect for all instances where the swatch is used in the document. It might be a good idea to tell it to remove all unused swatches first, if you have a very large number of swatches in the palette.

Note that CMYK Pantone swatches will look like ordinary CMYK swatches in the swatch palette, so if the names have been changed, you will need to find them either by looking for the plates in the print dialogue box, or doing a Preflight and setting it to show you only problems. That will tell you the names of the problematic colour swatches.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
Adrian

Anne,
That's what I was afraid of! I was hoping that there was a "magic key" that would convert all of the colours to CMYK (such as the Ink Manager that Stephen refers to for PDFs). Ah well, another day's work!
Best wishes, Adrian
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Anne,
That's what I was afraid of! I was hoping that there was a "magic key" that would convert all of the colours to CMYK (such as the Ink Manager that Stephen refers to for PDFs). Ah well, another day's work!
Oh, dear! It sounds as if there are thousands of them!

Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Adrian

Anne,
In the first of about 60 files, InDesign is reporting the 4 process and 11 spot colours! How this book ever got printed in the first place I'll never know!
Best wishes, Adrian
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Anne,
In the first of about 60 files, InDesign is reporting the 4 process and 11 spot colours! How this book ever got printed in the first place I'll never know!
Oh, I see - it's a lot of files with a smallish number of spot colours, rather than a few files with a lot of colours. That makes it slower, doesn't it?

FWIW, Peter Arnel, who is a printer, has told me previously that they have prepress software that will go through and fix the extra spot and RGB colours. Maybe that was the case with the studio that produced your files originally, so they'd become a bit slack in their workflow. I'm insecure enough about some processes to want to show the people at the other end that whatever my deficiencies, I can at least produce files that will print!

Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 AM   #7
Adrian

Anne,
Nicely put!
The current file has 4 process, 32 spot and 4 Pantone colours. Fortunately, not all of them are used!
Best wishes, Adrian
Old 11-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Hm. This sounds like the kind of tedium that could be automated with AppleScript. Perhaps the files all use same-named spot colors and a script could be written to, effectively, search and replace.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
Shane Stanley
Staff

This AppleScript script will convert all spot colors in a document to process:

tell application "InDesign CS"
tell document 1
set model of every color whose model is spot to process
end tell
end tell

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #10