DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 10-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
BinkyM

Default Name this typeface #2!

Folks:

I've got another typeface I need identified. Thing is I believe I even have it *installed*, but my brain's all mushy, so I'm lost. I tried identifont.com, but it's not working well today in Safari; tried with Firefox, and it gave me four faces at the end, none of which is correct.

I hope you can help me out; I'd be grateful!

Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkyM
I've got another typeface I need identified. Thing is I believe I even have it *installed*, but my brain's all mushy, so I'm lost. I tried identifont.com, but it's not working well today in Safari; tried with Firefox, and it gave me four faces at the end, none of which is correct.

Maybe. But can you attach a plain gif, showing the text only? (And delete the blinker?)

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Folks:

Um, what text? All I see is a picture of a man with some money or something in his hands.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Um, what text? All I see is a picture of a man with some money or something in his hands.
You must have animated things turned off. When I looked at the image it had (I think) two images with sales text (in the typeface to be identified), then a final image which is the one you see.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
You must have animated things turned off. When I looked at the image it had (I think) two images with sales text (in the typeface to be identified), then a final image which is the one you see.
Oh, yes, I have animated images disabled in Firefox. I can always click on Flash animations if I really want to see them. But sites that have no way around the Flash intros get short shrift with me!

And I don't expect to see animated GIFs in here.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

It's interesting that, with animated images disabled, you see only the final frame, while I'd expect it to be the first frame. I wonder if the choice of which frame is displayed can be set by the app that creates the animation or if it's all up to the viewer's browser to choose.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Well, for some reason it's showing me the text now, and although it isn't the right one, I reckon you could get away with Stripwriter Oblique. The lower case 't' isn't right, and the upper case 'E' isn't round enough, the upper case 'G' is too symmetrically round, but it's better than anything Identifont threw up.

You'll probably need to track it up as well.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
BinkyM

Eeeese:

Quote:
It's interesting that, with animated images disabled, you see only the final frame, while I'd expect it to be the first frame
No, ma'am; you were looking at the *first* frame. I took it off so you could see the text. Didn't dawn on me that folks wouldn't see the text, else I'd have bothered to remove that frame before I posted it.

Annie:

StripWriter Oblique looks close enough; thanks! Strangely, I seem not to own it. It looks soooo familiar!

Another question for you typeface mavens: when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do? Frex, I know I own a typeface that looks as if it came out of one of those plastic label guns. (You know what I mean? A plastic strip comes out, you punch a letter into it which makes it embossed, you advance the plastic label, punch another letter, etc). I own more than a thousand typefaces; what's a good way to locate it? It's driving me mad trying to think how to find it.

Thanks for the Stripwriter info! I appreciate it a lot!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do?
I dunno about other folks, but I have a binder. I print out a sample sheet for evey font and put it in the binder. That way I can thumb through and look for stuff.

--don

Old 10-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
BinkyM

Don:

Quote:
I print out a sample sheet for evey font and put it in the binder. That way I can thumb through and look for stuff.
Eeek! I have more than a thousand typefaces! I'd get old trying to do it that way!