DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Firefox slow and peculiar

All of a sudden yesterday Firefox got weird on me. Instead of presenting pages fairly rapidly, it builds them in stair-step fashion, with elements taking perceptible seconds to present themselves. For instance, here on the forum I see a rough outline and then after a few moments the various images, one at a time writing down the screen.

And a problem others have complained about, that never before affected me, has begun: I use Hybrid view. When the thread layout appears with a long list of entries, the window extends to the right, placing the vertical scroll bar off the edge of my viewing window. It does this in little lurches that I can see.

I do not have this problem with Mozilla, Opera, or Safari.

I threw out Firefox and its Preferences, but it didn’t make any difference. Restarted the computer. And repaired permissions, but all the problems were with Epson printer files.

What should I try next?

Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
What should I try next?
Which version of Firefox are you using? Aren't you on a beta? Perhaps going back to the latest release version would help.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Which version of Firefox are you using? Aren't you on a beta? Perhaps going back to the latest release version would help.
Firefox 1.0.7.

Having now changed everything I can think of and rebooted three times, I don’t know what to think. It mainly affects this forum, but I was a little slow on CIS as well. But no problem on Macintouch or random other sites that I have been visiting.

’Tis a mystery. Remember when you were plagued by slow responses on this forum? I believe you pinned that on your ISP. But if that is the explanation for me, then SBC has it in for vB!

Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Firefox 1.0.7.

Having now changed everything I can think of and rebooted three times, I don’t know what to think. It mainly affects this forum, but I was a little slow on CIS as well. But no problem on Macintouch or random other sites that I have been visiting.

’Tis a mystery. Remember when you were plagued by slow responses on this forum? I believe you pinned that on your ISP. But if that is the explanation for me, then SBC has it in for vB!
Have you tried other vBulletin sites to see if it's something in vBulletin that's causing it?

I think the last time I was having slowdown problems, a restart with resetting of the modem and router helped. Also, cached pages can mask problems with ISPs. Not such a factor these days with so much dynamic content, of course.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Have you tried other vBulletin sites to see if it's something in vBulletin that's causing it?
Good idea.

Quote:
I think the last time I was having slowdown problems, a restart with resetting of the modem and router helped. Also, cached pages can mask problems with ISPs. Not such a factor these days with so much dynamic content, of course.
Guess I will reset the dsl box and router. PITA in my case, but worth trying.

But have to say that I am having NO problem with Opera (aside from my lack of facility with its little ways). It is speedy and unaffected by my Firefox problem.

Safari, OTOH, has decided to play hide the thread scrollbar with me now as well. (scratching head).

Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Every time I've had bizarre slowness in the past six months it's been because of glitches with the DSL modem. Once I'd power-cycled it, I was off and running at high speed again.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Every time I've had bizarre slowness in the past six months it's been because of glitches with the DSL modem. Once I'd power-cycled it, I was off and running at high speed again.
You and Ann!

Okay. I’ll do that in a while. Can’t hurt, right?

But why only with Firefox (and maybe Safari)?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Good question. Computer voodoo? Sunspots?

Old 10-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Well, well, well. You guys may be right.

Not sure yet, but it does seem to have fixed things.

But I also threw out all my prefs and app support files, so it is back to square 1. For example, I see that my sig here has gone weird.

Oh, well.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
But I also threw out all my prefs and app support files, so it is back to square 1. For example, I see that my sig here has gone weird.
Maybe the temp was too hot when you cleaned up the prefs and it shrunk?