DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default The Guardian's new format & fonts

From Monday, The Guardian, one of Britain's older dailies, will appear in a new guise & with brand new fonts. Every page can be in colour. Read all about it at http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...552451,00.html

I've seen the four-page preview today, and my personal verdict is 'Hmm', but you'll have your own views.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I've seen the four-page preview today, and my personal verdict is 'Hmm', but you'll have your own views.
Yes, but will the print still come off on your fingers?

We swapped to the Independent during the Iraq war and I doubt that colour photos or smaller pages will tempt us back.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
or smaller pages will tempt us back.
Do you mean by that that they have gone to tabloid?

Old 09-11-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Obviously you did not follow the link! Articles there describe the new 'Berlin format', which is larger than the usual tabloid, the new Guardian Egyptian Text, which is replacing the existing News Miller as the text font, and the three high-speed MAN-Roland presses (two in London, one Manchester) on which The Guardian will be printed.

There's no information about ink or paper that will be used, so if Mike (or his wife) decide to switch back from the Independent he (or more likely, his wife) will still have to get out the iron or put the paper in the Aga for a while if he wants to keep his fingers clean.

The Guardian Egyptian seem very readable at 8/9.5 points, and the G. Egyptian Display (which is not just a differently scaled version of text) is only for 20–60 points, since the editor is promising smaller, neater headlines. The latter will be a welcome break from 17 years of Helvetica Bold & Extra Bold.

But follow the link, & see for yourself. I'm not sure I shall like the new fonts, but almost anything is better than M.'s propaganda sheet.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
There's no information about ink or paper that will be used, so if Mike (or his wife) decide to switch back from the Independent he (or more likely, his wife) will still have to get out the iron or put the paper in the Aga for a while if he wants to keep his fingers clean.
Do it ourselves? You must be joking. Why else would we keep the butler?

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Mike:

Why else would we keep the butler?

Don't be pretentious! We all know that cook puts the paper in the oven, after the maid-of-all-work gas got the oven fire alight. Only Americans have butlers.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

>>mike: Why else would we keep the butler?

LOL!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Not at all!

The editor was on Radio 4 the other day. He was adamant that they weren't going tabloid because the page is a slightly different size to tabloid. I doubt most readers will spot the difference, though.

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-12-2005, 02:28 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Not at all!

The editor was on Radio 4 the other day. He was adamant that they weren't going tabloid because the page is a slightly different size to tabloid. I doubt most readers will spot the difference, though.
Oh, yes. Not a tabloid at all, in spite of the sensationalist headlines, page three boobs... (I'm just guessing here, not having access to the real paper.)

Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Not a tabloid at all, in spite of the sensationalist headlines, page three boobs

You haven't got the idea.

The format is only slightly different from a tabloid, but the slightly more elongated Berlin format (ratio lenght to width about 1.5) makes a big difference in practice. The headlines are no longer in larger sizes of Helvetica but much more restrained in the rather severe Guardian Egyptian Display, which is part of a new family designed by Barnes and Schwartz. For the text, G. Egyptian Text has replaced News Miller (referred to this morning as simply 'Miller'). The new font family has, we were told on Saturday in the special supplement (available to all on the Web), 96 members. There are four main branches: Text, Display, Condensed, and 'Agate Sans', which I assume will be used in the size agate for tables etc.

The appearance strikes me on Monday as actually rather old fashioned, though it is relieved by much (perhaps overmuch) use of colour. And their are definitely no women's tits to be seen.

The claim that only by going to the smaller format was full colour possible on every page puzzles me somewhat, since Die Zeit, a broadsheet, has had full colour for a couple of years. However, that paper is a weekly, and hasn't got its own presses; perhaps that makes a difference—the circulation is slightly bigger than The Guardian's (the latter is ca 300 000).

The Times and the Independent have already changed to tabloid format, though without altering their typefaces or general appearance. Now only the Telegraph and the Financial Times are the only broadsheets left of the serious dailies in Britain.