DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Paul

Default Build Booklet in ID2?

Several months ago we had a discussion about software for making booklets. The issue at that time was that I had a booklet, created in Microsoft Publisher, that had Hebrew pagination. Publisher creates booklets on the fly while printing, but the effect of the back-to-front text flow was that all the text reflowed unless the printing was done one spread at a time.

What I wanted was a plug-in for InDesign that worked like the booklet utility in PageMaker: that is, by creating a new file with the pages arranged in printer's spreads. People advised me that InBooklet did it on the fly, so I was afraid to try it for this. Instead I converted the Publisher document to PageMaker, which worked very well overall. (This required saving it in an earlier Publisher format. Tip: if you are trying to convert a Publisher booklet to PageMaker, change it from a booklet to single pages before you save it back and run the PM converter. Otherwise you may get some double-column frames spanning two pages, and PM's booklet utility doesn't like those.)

Yesterday I had to reinstall InDesign 2.0, and I noticed that there is a BuildBooklet.exe file on the CD. A note in the Adobe knowledge base says that it is for ID 2.0. Does it work like the PageMaker one? Does it work at all?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Yesterday I had to reinstall InDesign 2.0, and I noticed that there is a BuildBooklet.exe file on the CD. A note in the Adobe knowledge base says that it is for ID 2.0. Does it work like the PageMaker one? Does it work at all?
I dunno. There were some criticisms on the InDesign list of the early version, but since InBooklet came out, I (and I think most people wanting to do two-up saddlestitch booklets) have used that. The latest version, 3.0.1, works with InDesign 2 as well as CS.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Dave Saunders

That early version worked by exporting each page as a PDF file and then reimporting into a new imposed order document. That approach has something to be said for it, but it was not well implemented (it used whatever the current default settings were for PDF output, so if you got that wrong, it took a long time to discover the problem, which leads to another issue: it was slow).

In addition to the InBooklet solution, there's also a script called TwoUp on the Adobe Studio Exchange (assuming you're a Windows person). Be sure to get the ID 2 version. If you are a Mac-ite, then Shane's script is available on MacScripter.net -- again, make sure you get the ID2 version -- search the ScriptBuilders section using "Imposition"

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Saunders
That early version worked by exporting each page as a PDF file and then reimporting into a new imposed order document. That approach has something to be said for it, but it was not well implemented (it used whatever the current default settings were for PDF output, so if you got that wrong, it took a long time to discover the problem, which leads to another issue: it was slow).

In addition to the InBooklet solution, there's also a script called TwoUp on the Adobe Studio Exchange (assuming you're a Windows person). Be sure to get the ID 2 version. If you are a Mac-ite, then Shane's script is available on MacScripter.net -- again, make sure you get the ID2 version -- search the ScriptBuilders section using "Imposition"
Thanks, Dave. Paul's on Windows, so the Apple Studio Exchange script should suit him.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
levonk

You can also use Alap software's Imposer Pro for ID. It is one of the best low end imposition solutions available. It gives you a preview of how the final imposed document will look like, and you can choose to print without creating a new document, or create a new document.
levonk is offline   Reply With Quote