PDA

View Full Version : Editing a Photoshop image

marlene
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
I've been given a photo of a guy wearing a polo shirt with a logo on the chest. The logo was added to the original photo, but I have had no luck in getting the original (logo-less) photo. The image I have is not layered.

Now the logo needs to be removed. What's the best way to do this in Photoshop, and still preserve the texture, color and creases in the shirt?

TIA,

mxh

terrie
06-10-2005, 12:35 PM
>>marlene: Now the logo needs to be removed. What's the best way to do this in Photoshop, and still preserve the texture, color and creases in the shirt?

You might try the healing brush--depends on how big this logo is--doing it a bit at a time. You could also try cloning it out.

Can't remember which version of Photoshop you're running...I'm still at 7 so for the healing brush, I have to work on the original layer and so I'd probably dup that layer to make sure I didnt muck up the original...

For cloning, I'd add a new blank layer and clone on that...

Hope this helps...

Terrie

PS...just thought of another way...you might try the patch tool and/or defining a new pattern using another part of the shirt...

Andrew B.
06-10-2005, 05:33 PM
You can use the clone tool, drawing from an area of the photo that has similar folds. Or you use the clone tools to extend the folds that lead into the area. OTOH, I don't know what the texture is. If this is distinctive you will need to match it when cloning. Or, you can heal in the pattern.

Alternately, you could read my thread about AVKIS Retoucher, and give the demo a try. It lets you do a full render, but limits the number of days you can use it.

marlene
06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
I've got both PS 7 and PS CS installed. (When I installed CS, it didn't clobber PS 7 like I thought it would, so I just left it there.) When I install CS 2 sometime soon, I'll probably end up with three versions of PS!

I'll experiment with the healing brush -- I've never used it.

>>For cloning, I'd add a new blank layer and clone on that...<<

I don't think I've cloned. I've rubber-stamped, but I don't think that's the same. Why do I need a new blank layer? In case I screw up? <g>

>>try the patch tool and/or defining a new pattern using another part of the shirt<<

There isn't another part of the shirt that includes the same wrinkle. The logo sort of falls across the wrinkle (the wrinkle extends above the logo.)

mxh

marlene
06-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't think there are any similar folds elsewhere in the shirt. The texture is that of a pique-knit polo shirt (of course it couldn't be something easier, like a smooth knit).

I've never cloned or healed, so I guess I'll just experiment.

And I'll read the AVKIS Retoucher thread.

mxh

Andrew B.
06-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I put the wrong name for that thread I suggested you read. I should be the AKVIS Retoucher (not AVKIS). Here's the thread: http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=799

terrie
06-11-2005, 03:09 PM
>>marlene: I've got both PS 7 and PS CS installed. (When I installed CS, it didn't clobber PS 7 like I thought it would, so I just left it there.)

I would hope that you DIDN'T do an OVERLAY install when you installed PSCS...don't ever do overlay installs of a newer version of PS over the older version...always install to a new directory...

>>I'll experiment with the healing brush -- I've never used it.

It's WONDEFUL!!!! Couldn't live without it--might not work on this sort of thing but it's fab for getting rid of dirt and spots and yukky areas...

>>I don't think I've cloned. I've rubber-stamped, but I don't think that's the same. Why do I need a new blank layer? In case I screw up? <g>

Clone = rubber stamp...using the clone stamp on a new layer just gives you more flexibility--you can adjust the opacity for example or adjust the blend mode--and generally makes life easier when you totally muck up the cloning and want to start all over again...

>>There isn't another part of the shirt that includes the same wrinkle. The logo sort of falls across the wrinkle (the wrinkle extends above the logo.)

Bummer...I think cloning and/or the healing brush will probably do the trick...

Terrie

Stephen Owades
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I've been given a photo of a guy wearing a polo shirt with a logo on the chest. The logo was added to the original photo, but I have had no luck in getting the original (logo-less) photo. The image I have is not layered.

Now the logo needs to be removed. What's the best way to do this in Photoshop, and still preserve the texture, color and creases in the shirt?

TIA,

mxhYou may want to look carefully at the image to see how the logo was added. If it was done subtly, by some sort of multiplication process that retains the texture of the shirt underneath, you might be able to remove the logo by selecting the logo area with the magic wand and adjusting its color back toward the original values. The expression you've used to describe the problem, "still preserve the texture, color and creases in the shirt," suggests that the original shirt may have been multiplied with the logo, and you may be able to undo that cleanly. It's certainly worth trying before you try to rebuild that area of the shirt with the clone tool or the healing brush--even though those are useful techniques when the original information is missing.

marlene
06-11-2005, 11:17 PM
You may want to look carefully at the image to see how the logo was added.

Your idea was so intriguing, I had to stop what I was doing and open the photo.

Unfortunately, the logo doesn't retain the texture of the shirt underneath -- the logo does have a texture that mimics the look of silkscreen on fabric -- sort of "nubbly" looking.

But I fiddled a little with cloning and healing, and I think one of those should work fine (although it's tricky around the folds and shadows).

mxh

terrie
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
>>marlene: But I fiddled a little with cloning and healing, and I think one of those should work fine (although it's tricky around the folds and shadows).

One thing I forgot to mention is that I find the healing brush looks better when you kind of dab the area (rather than drag the mouse as one would with the clone tool) so when I use the healing brush, I alt-click on the healing "source" (usually just have to do that once) and then click on the areas to be healed repeating the single clicks rather than dragging the mouse across the area...

Also, play with the size of the healing brush...I find sometimes that too large a brush doesn't work as well as when using a smaller brush...

Terrie