PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 (second beta)

Michael Rowley
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
After Kelvyn's recent fairly favourable first-hand account of the second beta of Internet Explorer 7, I decided yesterday to try it out: I'm very disappointed. Contrary to earlier reports, I find it just as sluggish as IE 6, whereas it was said to be as fast as FireFox 1.5. You can compare the two by looking at the home page of www.iti.org.uk, which opens almost immediately in FF 1.5 but only component by component in IE 7; other sites also show a difference, though not as extreme.

Perhaps it's my computer or me: what do others find? Security may be improved with IE 7, but what does that matter if the sites take ages to load?

donmcc
05-10-2006, 05:12 AM
You can compare the two by looking at the home page of www.iti.org.uk (http://www.iti.org.uk/), which opens almost immediately in FF 1.5 but only component by component in IE 7;

Are you giving a fair test? If you have had FF on your system for a while, then it will have cached the images and other files from that site. If IE7 is new, and caches in a different location than your older IE, or with a different system, then it will have to download everything.

To test cleanly you would have to empty the cache in FF, and then compare. (Although perhaps you did this.)

Michael Rowley
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Don:

Are you giving a fair test?

I might not be, and that was why I asked; but caching does not appear to be the problem, since I have invoked the same URL several times, and IE 7 has not caught on yet (perhaps it's a slow learner). FireFox is generally a good browser, but in the forum it won't allow anything but ASCII, which, as I've said before, I find frustrating, (I know you have said it does not worry you) and I should like to get rid of it.

Incidentally, I think IE 7 has taken over the IE 6 cache; it certainly has its 'Favourites' fle.

Kelvyn
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
IE7 installs "over the top" of IE6 and does indeed pick up favourites. It is seen as an update on a PC rather than a brand new program.

The iti.org.uk site is a "good" example of a really badly written site, full of errors, and consisting of nested framesets. IE7 is very pedantic about correct code (far more than I ever expected, and not as forgiving as FireFox) and on a site like this goes into quirks mode, seemingly after first trying to properly render the page. I have attached a copy of the FireFox HTML Validator error window.

On my 5Mbps broadband connection the iti page rendered in around 7 seconds in IE7 and about 4 seconds in Firefox. Not really a great difference.

Michael Rowley
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Kelvyn:

The iti.org.uk site is a "good" example of a really badly written site, full of errors, and consisting of nested framesets

That site was constructed by a fairly reputable firm of site designers, but I think it may have had too many additions to it, for it has been fairly frequently modified over the years.

The time I get are much more different from yours: FireFox was quicker this evening and Internet 7 was slower. Version 6 was slow, but v. 7 is worse, not better; my connexion is only 2 Mbits/s, and in the evenings at this time it doesn't give 2 Mbits/s, which may make a difference.