PDA

View Full Version : Remember Envoy?

Robin Springall
02-17-2005, 01:37 PM
The things you see when you haven't got a gun! Somebody sent us an Envoy document today. Envoy was developed by WordPerfect around the same time that PDFs were surfacing, and they competed for a while (about a fortnight, I think). It was a bit unpredicatable, and WP eventually gave up with it.

Anyway, I had to dig up an old copy of WP, install the Envoy viewer, then Distill the damn thing to PDF. (How many printers work from .env files? Er, none!!)

ktinkel
02-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyway, I had to dig up an old copy of WP, install the Envoy viewer, then Distill the damn thing to PDF. (How many printers work from .env files? Er, none!!)Man! You are good!

They should give you a huge bonus.

Now, of course, they will bring you all their business. You were probably the first guy who didn’t turn them down instantly! <g>

Robin Springall
02-17-2005, 01:50 PM
You were probably the first guy who didn’t turn them down instantly! <g> I like a challenge!

PeterArnel
02-17-2005, 03:28 PM
The things you see when you haven't got a gun! Somebody sent us an Envoy document today. Envoy was developed by WordPerfect around the same time that PDFs were surfacing, and they competed for a while (about a fortnight, I think). It was a bit unpredicatable, and WP eventually gave up with it.

Anyway, I had to dig up an old copy of WP, install the Envoy viewer, then Distill the damn thing to PDF. (How many printers work from .env files? Er, none!!)
Oh Come on Robin - thats not the way at all - our job is to keep the industry pure once u start excepting things like that where will it lead - soon u will be saying that yu except "In Design " docs :-)
Peter
We are looking at digital at the moment - have u any views on Xerox against Indigo and the Next Press

Steve Rindsberg
02-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh damn. You had to do that. JUST as I'd made up my mind to heave out some of the misc. YadaYadaPerfect junk I've accumulated over the geological ages.

On second thought, I'm with Peter. Out with it.

Robin Springall
02-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Damn Indecided!! How does it deal with transparency? A client has just had three attempts to get his artwork right: each time he exports as PDF the thing falls over when it hits a bit of tranny. At least with Frustrator you can flatten it.

As for digi presses, I don't reckon on Indigo much: the technology is a bit old. Xerox is probably the best, but I'm hardly an expert.

Do give me a call at the studio: pop in next time you're in town!

Robin Springall
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I work on the basis that if I refuse some chap's artwork, he'll just go and find someone who won't!

Steve Rindsberg
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
I understand that. Used to be motivated by the same thing myself until it occurred to me that, given the amount of time it inevitably took to sort out these weird programs vs the return, I *wanted* them to find someone else.

But this wasn't the kind of business where a solution to the problem allowed you to send out a very large bill; if the potential is larger, then the time spent can definitely be worth it.

Robin Springall
02-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I quite agree, Steve: you have to balance the aggro vs the income, and sometimes I tell the client that it will just cost too much to fix. This job, however, took 15 minutes and was well worth it for the "wow, thanks, I'll tell all my colleagues to use your firm" factor!

Steve Rindsberg
02-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Bingo ... at fifteen minutes, time WELL invested.

curveto
02-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh Come on Robin - thats not the way at all - our job is to keep the industry pure once u start excepting things like that where will it lead - soon u will be saying that yu except "In Design " docs :-)
Peter
We are looking at digital at the moment - have u any views on Xerox against Indigo and the Next Press
I have some samples off an iGen at the office that are genuinely nifty. The only issues I could see with them (after a cursory but informed review) were some (little) weigh in the shadows (probably addressable with proper device calibration and cm) and some banding (which I couldn't determine was the fault of the press or the designer). Beyond that it was (middle of the road) offset quality.

JR (who's building some bits for an ASP to drive an iGen at the moment)