PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Harry Potter Fonts vs. Imitations

tatesha
08-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi... this is my first post !!

After months of attempting to identify the specialty typefonts used in the Harry Potter Books a google search for the typesetter Brad Walrod led me to this forum.

The only reference and credit given to a typefont designer was for the text font Adobe Garamond 11.5pt/12pt on the final page of the books.

I would like to know the names of all the fonts used and see credit given to the designers of these specialty fonts as well.

The only font I've identified... that I can be sure of is Hagrid's.

Hagrid's Handwriting is actually FeltTip Roman by Mark Simonson
http://www.marksimonson.com/article/75/beware-of-imitations, however there is a "downloadable freeware clone" being circulated on every HP website...as "The fonts used in the Harry Potter series are actually avaliable for your use! Hagrid's Handwriting Font [ Download ] © June 2002 by Missy Mille. (http://www.darkmark.com/c.c?l=fonts&t=Fonts)

I'd like to know the names and designers of the authentic fonts that represent Sirius Black, Dumbledore, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Severus, Lupin, etc.

Can anyone help me ?

BradW
08-22-2005, 06:55 AM
It would be pretty tough to list all the various fonts used in each Potter book in the colophon in the back. I'm glad the art director has chosen to give credit to Adobe Garamond in each one.

I can't remember all the fonts used throughout the series, but as you said, Felt Tip is used for anything written by Hagrid. Of course, in The Half-Blood Prince, we had to add smudge marks to indicate tears. The name of the fonts used for the chapter openers, drop caps, and running heads is Able, which is a caps and small caps font.

Some of the characters (as in fictional, not typographical) you mentioned have fonts used in their signatures and others have scanned handwriting. I don't remember most of them off the top of my head, but I think Dumbledore's is Flemish Script; I'll have to check my copy of the printed book later today.

I'm pretty sure Molly Weasley's was scanned, and I know for sure that Percy Weasley's was, along with Ron's and Harry's signatures. I don't remember Hermione signing anything, but it could have happened in the first three books, on which I didn't work.

Brad

Michael Rowley
08-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Brad:

I looked especially to see if any of the fonts used in the UK edition of the latest Harry Potter book are mentioned: they're not, but neither the chapter headings nor runnings headlines are in anything peculiar; as far as I can see (not far!), they're all from one family.

I haven't read the book yet, since my son (aged 46) was first, and now it is my wife's turn.

BradW
08-22-2005, 11:32 AM
I've often wondered what Bloomesbury things of the way we style the book. We have the chapter opening art, of course, but we also try to do special treatments no newspaper articles, signs, and letters that I gather they don't.

Brad

Michael Rowley
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Brad:

I've leafed through the book, and haven't found any sign of special treatment of letters etc. The text isn't any Garamond, but could be Jenson (possibly Adobe's).

But I believe that Bloomsbury put out two editions, one especially for juveniles; perhaps that got a different treatment.

ElyseC
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I've often wondered what Bloomesbury things of the way we style the book. We have the chapter opening art, of course, but we also try to do special treatments no newspaper articles, signs, and letters that I gather they don't.How uninteresting that would be were there nothing to set those things apart. It was especially effective in book 5, Order of the Phoenix with Umbridge's educational decrees. If I accidentally turned an extra page while reading and noticed text in the decree style, it added to the suspense and I couldn't wait to get there to find out what the new one was.

Nice job on the O.W.L. results, BTW. :-)

BradW
08-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I remembered reading that Bloomsbury had produced two covers; I doubt they set the whole book twice, tho. Once (per side of the pond) was surely enough!

Brad

BradW
08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
The note from R.A.B. at the end of book 6 was especially nice, albeit a pain to get to the top of a new spread so it wouldn't break over mid-note (as I recall).

Brad

Michael Rowley
08-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Brad:

Bloomsbury had produced two covers

We have the 'children's edition': I've just checked with Amazon and seen the pictures. I suppose just producing different dust jackets and covers is enough to describe the book as being in 'two editions', & there'd certainly be two ISBNs. Just setting one book for the UK and the rest of Europe and one for the Americas would be quite enough for a 600-page book, but on the other hand, setting and printing costs would be pretty insignificant for those print runs.

Who is the publisher in the USA? I see that Warner has the copyright on the 'indicia' (I'd never come across indicia before).

BradW
08-22-2005, 03:25 PM
It wouldn't be the cost that would be prohibitive as much as the time involved. The pub date is announced before I've even had a chance to do the cast-off; there are few conceivable scenarios that would allow us to not meet that date.

The U.S. Publisher is an old client of mine, Scholastic Books.

Brad

ElyseC
08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
The note from R.A.B. at the end of book 6 was especially nice, albeit a pain to get to the top of a new spread so it wouldn't break over mid-note (as I recall).I'll go look at it again in tomorrow. (Book is unfindable in the dark right now and I'm not about to awaken my guys by turning on the light. <g>)

tatesha
08-23-2005, 02:10 AM
BradW...
Thank You for your e-mail !!
In this day and age of 50,000 FREE FONTS it never even occurred to me that the signatures of Harry, Ron, Molly, Percy and Arthur would be scanned imagery !!

Mark Simonson identified 99.99% of the fonts for me w/in an hour of my query.

For those of you who are interested I will be setting up a webpage w/ a list of all the authentic Harry Potter TypeFonts (http://www.geocities.com/tatesha/HarryPotterAF.html) used in the books later this week.

Michael Rowley
08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Brad:

the time involved

That would not be a problem if multiple editions were involved, for there's nothing to prevent more than one person's setting the text. But Scholastic Books (unknown here) probably weren't consulted about the publication date, which incidentally seems to have been suited to UK school holidays.

pureblood
08-31-2005, 12:07 AM
[/url]

I'd like to know the names and designers of the authentic fonts that represent Sirius Black, Dumbledore, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Severus, Lupin, etc.

Can anyone help me ?

You can get information on all fonts used in the Harry Potter books 1-5 published by Scholastic books [url="http://wizards.fateback.com/index.html"]here (http://www.darkmark.com/c.c?l=fonts&t=Fonts)

However, you will be only able to see the font info via a popup window.

The signatures in letters/owls are not made with a font but are hand drawn.

pureblood
08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know the name of the font used for the following:

Gallons of Galleons Weasley twins ad in the Gryffindor common room in Order of the Phoenix
Amulet poster in Knockturn Alley in Half-Blood Prince (page 111).
Those are the only two that I cannot identify from the six Harry Potter books by Scholastic.

Thanks

BradW
08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
The Amulets text is in Shipwreck Bold. The Galleons text looks like it could be a P22 font, but I can't remember offhand.

Brad

pureblood
09-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Thank you Brad. So that makes it 2 for Chank in HBP. And thank you also for the P22 tip, that narrows down the search.

BTW the choice of Da Vinci for the RAB note was really great. Everything fits in. It was as if the font was in Rowling's mind when she came up with that initial. :)

BradW
09-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I agree about the RAB note. The art director outdid himself with that choice, and I was glad I could get it to set at the top of a verso (left-hand) page.

Brad

tatesha
09-04-2005, 04:23 AM
I didn't see the Galleons Font in the 222 P-22 Fonts I looked thru... nor did I find it at the Letraset site... sorry pureblood... will continue to look tho !!

pureblood
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
To help ID the font used in the Gallons of Galleons poster from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I am attaching a scan of a portion of that "poster"

Thanks

tatesha
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
THANKYOU ALL !!

I THINK I HAVE CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED ALL THE HP FONTS... BUT ONE !!

The elusive "GALLONS of GALLEONS" posted as an attachment on pureblood's latest post remains as yet a complete mystery.

I am pulling out my old catalogues of GEOTYPE and Letraset Transfer lettering in hopes that I might find it in one of them !!

Oh !!
The link I provided for my list was a bit premature. The page is currently under construction and to be honest I am a little overwhelmed by it !!
However it is up and can be viewed here (http://www.geocities.com/tatesha/HarryPotterAF.html).

A wonderful forum... I'm glad I found you !!

tatesha
10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
After 2 years I found it!!

I sent most of you an email... and you can view the infomation on my website (http://www.geocities.com/tatesha/HarryPotterAF.html)

Michael Rowley
10-28-2007, 06:28 AM
I THINK I HAVE CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED ALL THE HP FONTS

You do realize that the 'Harry Potter' fonts you mention are the fonts used by the US publisher, don't you? The original fonts used in the UK editions published by Bloomsbury are different, and generally (always?) of the one typeface in each book.

tatesha
10-29-2007, 08:01 AM
You do realize that the 'Harry Potter' fonts you mention are the fonts used by the US publisher, don't you? The original fonts used in the UK editions published by Bloomsbury are different, and generally (always?) of the one typeface in each book.

Yes Micheal... If you had read this thread starting w/ my 1st and original post you would have understood that I was seeking to identify the type fonts used by Brad Walrod [the typesetter's name in my US version that lead me to this forum] and to give credit to the designers and links to the distributers of the commercial fonts... such as:

Adobe Garamond
Adobe Garamond Italic

Able (http://www.identifont.com/show?9MQ)
Designer: Marcus Burlile

Felt Tip Roman (http://www.identifont.com/show?5PL)
Based on the designer's handwriting.
Designer: Mark Simonson

TFAvian-Extrabold (http://www.identifont.com/show?5PL)
Designer: Joseph D. Treacy

It never occurred to me that the US and UK versions were so dramatically different, however that is quite irrelevant, as this post was made in the Typography section... and as a Typographer I was asking for help.

The simple fact that Harry Potter Fans all over the world were attempting to recreate the fonts used in the US version... because they couldn't identify them... then offer them as FREE downloads was what this thread was supposed to be all about.

ktinkel
10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Felt Tip Roman
Designer: Mark Simonson

TFAvian-Extrabold
Designer: Joseph D. TreacyJust thought I would mention that Mark Simonson was once an active member of the DTP Forum (way back in pre-Web CompuServe days), and that Joe Treacy is still a member, though not a very active one.

Michael Rowley
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
If you had read this thread starting w/ my 1st and original post

Oh yes, I'm perfectly aware that you were referring to the US editions. But I thought that the difference between them and the UK edition of the final book in series may be of interest—typographically, that is.

I didn't know that people all over the world were interested (or even aware of) the US fonts used. Does that apply to the many readers of translations?